Tuesday, February 22, 2011

iTouchallenge - The Sequel

I should be pretty embarrassed about today's topic, but so many of you already know that I struggle with my weight, etc. (and let's face, this blog is pretty much anonymous), so here goes.

When I started this blog, I weighed 325 pounds (or 23 stone, which sounds a lot better to me).  I am 6'4" (193 cm).  I really started to focus on weight loss on March 1st of last year.  By eating much better, I lost 30 pounds pretty rapidly.  Another 20 came off more slowly.  Finally, on September 6, 2010, I had lost a clean 50 pounds!  My reward (along with increased confidence, improved health, etc.) was an iPod Touch.  The pricetag was not too extreme, but let's face it, an iPod Touch is a luxury item.  Therefore, I was happy to "earn it" with the achievement of a 50 pound loss.

And then, I knowingly took my eye of the scale and gained some weight back, slowly and steadily through the holidays.  Though I was aware of the gains, I also knew that I was increasing my running mileage and wasn't too concerned about it.  On November 26, we struck a new deal...I would hand it over until I re-lost the extra pounds.    Read about it here.























How'd I do?  I defaulted on the plan within a week or two.  We re-negotiated a few times, but she never signed on to be my cop and I can be pitiful persuasive.

So, now we are back at it.  Call it a sequel to the original iTouch Challenge

The new plan is as follows:  I will lose a predetermined amount by each Saturday between now and the end of March.  If I happen to miss my Saturday goal, I forfeit the iTouch for a week.  Each week, the goal is readjusted.  This way, if I happen to crush it one week, I set a goal for a smaller loss for the next week.  On the other hand, if I fall behind in my loss, we re-calibrate and choose a new reasonable goal for the next week.   My goal is to get back down to 275 by the end of March.  I am confident that I will do it.

So far, I have not had to turn it over to her and our little game has caused me to be more disciplined.   Good stuff.  My goal is to lose two pounds this week.  We'll know how I did on Saturday morning.

I know that many of you don't need such hijinks to stay focused, eat healthy, etc.  I commend you and am envious.  But from childhood, I grew up making poor food choices.  I am now working on changing my head.

Secondly, I just wanted to show that our efforts toward increased health can be fun and involve others.  It is fun for me to be in this little challenge and I am grateful for all of you who are playing along with me.

I am still sick with a bad cold that has not let up.  I am concerned it will affect my weigh-in, but there's only so much I can control.  Keep a watch for Saturday's post to see how I do.

Big Clyde

11 comments:

Jessica said...

Good luck earning your ipod each week! That is a great idea :) Hope you are feeling better soon!

Clive Chapman said...

As a time served falterer myself until recently mate, I say whatever works! I like it! :-)

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

As always, I'm here to counsel you...they have iPads now...(just something to remind Mrs. Clyde she doesn't have all the leverage!)

Actually, the iPod Touch could work. I'm reading Scorecasting, a sort of economics based look at life and sports. There's a big early chapter about loss aversion (no, not weight loss aversion!) In loss aversion, you value what you have more than what you don't have. In one study, Duke students who won a lottery for tournament basketball tickets were asked what they'd sell them for and they valued them far more than students who lost the lottery would pay for them. All of which to say, the laws of economics *demand* that you earn your iPod Touch back. (but the allure of the iPad probably won't do it for you)

J said...

Good deal.

I cannot involve my husband at all...I take it out on him, poor guy! :)

J

Jo said...

The little games, yes I play them, too. I say whatever works, and make it interesting.

tahoegirl said...

Sounds like a plan. I too lose focus sometimes and justify eating an extra cookie or two because I ran a little extra. I have to remind myself that it doesn't work that way. Good luck. We will be here to encourage you!

Susietri said...

:) Keep it up there buster!

GeorgiaSnail said...

I like the idea of setting small, attainable goals-it's easier to keep your eye on the prize, so to speak!

Michael said...

You've got this!! No worries! I think what you are doing is great, and if it takes little "games" to keep you motivated that's what you need to do. Everyone has there own things that work for them, so stick with what works for you.

Luke said...

Good Luck!

Bruce said...

Great plan Clyde! It takes into account the fluctuations that weight loss brings. Good luck!