Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Sad Week

I have not focused on training for much of the past week and I figured that I should drop a note to explain what's up.

About 10 days ago, the son of one of my friends passed away in his sleep.  He was 20 years old.   His father (my friend Jim) died in the summer of 2009 of a brain tumor and his son struggled with the loss of his dad ever since.   Zack was a great young man, who profoundly loved his father, mother and three brothers.  At the funeral, we all questioned why this happened.  Why a wonderful family had to endure the loss of first the father, and now the eldest son.  I don't have the answers and it is painful for so many of us.  Though it sounds trite, I firmly believe that Zack and Jim are together in Heaven and his family finds comfort in that belief as well.  He is survived by his three brothers and his mother.

In addition, I am aware of some other college-age friends of our family that are going through some serious challenges right now.  It is all very sad, but I am hopeful that God, their families and friends will carry them through some tough times. 

These tragic events have just made me want to stay close to my family and enjoy our time together.  Maybe I am also coming down off of the achievement of my 10K race (and some resulting knee soreness).  I've run twice, but nothing further than a few miles.  I even ran with my two boys who are now very determined to run regularly with me!  In fact, they are doing daily 1/2 mile runs together this week, while I am away on a short business trip.   I have also been helping my daughter study as she endures finals at her smarty-pants high school.  I now know just a little about cellular respiration!

I have also been looking ahead to some upcoming races that I will be doing in the next few months.  A 5K, a mid-distance cycling race and yes, a short duathalon.  (Are you happy now, Patrick?)

So, that is why I have been missing-in-action lately.  It has been nice to relax and be very present with the family.  I will return (to the blogs and to my training) in a few days. 

I hope all is well with all of you.  And I encourage you, to hold your loved ones close...life is very precious and our time together is nothing short of a gift.  Don't waste it.

Big Clyde

P.S.  (In answer to Kovas's comment from my previous post), this is definitely not turning into a "mommy-blog"!  (Not that there's anything wrong with that.).   I just figured Mrs. Clyde should finally get something tangible out of this clydesdale project, so she gets the "product review" waffle-maker.  Sue me.

18 comments:

Patrick Mahoney said...

Man, so sorry about the tragedy. I really admire your reaction though, coming together with your family.

Good news on the races and awesome on the kids running with you - that's amazing.

And yes I am happy about the duathlon.

Don't listen to Kovas. Talk about a "mommy blog". Moist energy bars? Real men eat rocks. You know what I'm talkin' about.

Big Clyde said...

Thanks, P.

The duathalon should be fun.

And you're right..."moist bars"? Seems like something you toss out of the gear bag. If he wants to eat them, that's his call. Those ultrarunners get desperate-hungry on the trail.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Very sorry to hear about your friends and their losses. So very tragic.

I think we all assume when you aren't heard from for a few days, it's for a good reason. Look forward to hearing about the new fitness adventures.

fatty blogsticks said...

hi clyde, i'm so sorry to hear about what you've been going through. i am glad you find comfort in them being together, and that you can allow this sad experience to bring your own family even closer. x

spunkysuzi said...

That is very sad! Being with the family and being together is a good thing to do at this time.

Jessica said...

So sorry! Hug your wife and kids a little tighter tonight. I know I will hug my husband tighter! Thinking of you...

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

I'm so sorry.

So glad to hear about your sons... this has truly become a family affair.

Adrienne said...

So sorry about your friends and their son. I know they are together again and hope they can find some comfort.

Running as a family can be so rewarding. Good for you guys.

TRI714 said...

Steady as it goes BC. There is a curve around every corner. Way to be a comfort to friends and family.

Kovas said...

Keep your chin up Clyde, a bit of time to yourself will bring you back stronger than ever. So a touchy-feely post like this isn't mommy-blogging, huh?

PS I do believe Patrick eats rocks or has rocks in his head or something along those lines.

Kimberley said...

Very sorry to hear about the losses of Jim and Zack. My condolences to you and those whose lives they touched. May they all be achieve to find peace.

Love that your boys are running with you and that you were able to help your daughter.

Hugs to you BC.

Megan said...

I feel for you, I too have had a family member pass away unexpectedly, and it has been really hard. hang in there.

Susietri said...

That is so sad. These online communities sometimes show us the pain of life along with the joy.

Tricia said...

So sorry for you and your friends loss. Hugs.

Losing 100 said...

That is all very sad. Isn't it clasified as a cot death, even at that age?
I will keep you and your friends in my prayers.
And i for one am glad that Mrs. Clydesdale makes an apperance :o)

Allison said...

So sorry to hear about your friends son. My heart breaks. Hugs from Texas :)

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

Very sad and what a difficult loss for that family. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend's family. Your blog, you can let puppy Clyde the family dog review organic home made dog treats if you want. I'll still read it. You are doing so well and how wonderful to have the kids join in so enthusiastically!

lindsay said...

This is so sad! I am sorry to hear and hope you, other friends and the young man's family are finding ways to cope with the grief in a healthy way. :( We had a scare Christmas '08 and I have not forgotten the value of family since!