Friday, February 4, 2011

This Is Going To Hurt

It is time to re-focus on my weight and get down to 275 by March 31st.   What's my starting point?

Even I don't know today, but I'll hit the scales tomorrow morning and it will be bad.  Just the thought of seeing the number seems painful to me now. 
My running definitely strengthened my legs and likely moved around some muscle, fat, etc., but my increased appetite and lax food choices have kept the pounds on and likely added some.

So, tomorrow, I'll lumber onto the scales, set some weekly goals and get after it.  I have no concerns about hitting my goal on March 31st. 

And yet, I fear that you will be disappointed in my gains and I fully understand.  After 44 years of poor eating habits, I see that when I take my eye off the ball, I fall back into old eating habits quickly.

You may recall when I wrote about this stating that my autopilot switch is broken.  Time to put my hands on the controls again and fly the plane on a steady course.

Thanks for your comments about my friend's family.  Death is tragic, but this father-son story has just left me a bit numb and caused me to just want to focus on family (when not busy with work).

My two boys have been running together (on a challenge) every day this week, just a half-mile.  Sunday, we will likely jump it up to a two-mile run with several walk-breaks for them.  They seem to like the running, but are treating their small loop like a sprint.  I want them to get used to longer distances, so that we can do some upcoming 5k's together, where they can not only keep up with me, but even challenge me!

Hug your loved ones, my friends.

Big Clyde

17 comments:

Jessica said...

Hope you have a great weekend, and the scale is better than you expect.

TRI714 said...

HEAD UP !!!!!!!!! The worst thing you could do is not get on that scale and not take control. It will be tough, but you've got this andyou know what you have to do. It's one step at a time. O.k. so YOU will be disapointed stepping on the scale, but you will NOT here that from anyone here. This I can say for sure. Get it done.

Kovas said...

The scale doesn't tell the whole story - it's one step back after many steps forward. You also know now that you are capable of success so it will be easier this go-around!

Raegun said...

Don't let the scale get you down, Clyde. Just think about how far you've come and remind yourself of all you've been able to accomplish this year with your running and cycling. There is more good stuff to come and you have plenty of time to do it!
Have a great weekend.

Miss S. said...

Getting on the scale is always the first step. You'll find your food niche, just like you have with biking and running. Sounds like you've done a great job of motivating the whole family.

Jo said...

You have your head together, now step on that scale and buckle down. You have done so well for so long. Focus. Focus. That goal date will be here before you know it!

GeorgiaSnail said...

Keep at it big dude! Just deal with the workout in front of you and everything else will fall into place!

Katy said...

I'm glad to be reading your blog again! There's zero judgement from me in regards to the scale. I've been MIA for a few months:)

Bruce said...

Good to have you back Clyde! It was hard for me to face the scale after gaining some back. Just had to swallow hard, come to grips with the number and be brave enough to own up to it (which you already have). It felt a lot better to quit worrying about it and get back after it. You'll do it.

pinkvision said...

:) Looking forward to the plane ride stories! Give those scales some wings & fly a great course.

Was just looking at your miles cycled over the last couple of years, so impressive. So nice to see people do well in their goals.

Patrick said...

Clyde, the weight will come off if you want it to; no doubts here that you can drop the weight. But let me ask you, how are you going to achieve the goals you are going to set?

Kimberley said...

Don't worry about what the scales says...you know which way it is headed from there.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

I'm coming to terms that I need rules forever when it comes to eating. I do well with them and immediately crash without them. I have a friend with pretty restrictive food allergies and she just eats what she can eat and that's it. I'm starting to see my dietary needs (to not eat everything in sight) as a similar chronic condition.

Patrick Mahoney said...

BC, a thought. Weigh yourself tomorrow only to get a control point, and then put the scale in the closet for a few weeks. Focus on better eating and quality exercise. Make this effort as much of a priority as you can, and then try to push it up the list a little more. Weight loss should be a by-product of your efforts instead as opposed to solely making efforts to lose weight.

spunkysuzi said...

Time to get back into the game :)
The hardest part will be to see where you are at now! However, after finding out that, i have no doubt that you know exactly what you need to do!!
I'm cheering you on.

Tricia said...

good luck with your goals

Fizzhogg said...

Your greatest weight loss was back when you were cycling more than anything else.

Just saying.