Tuesday, April 26, 2011

30 Days of Biking - 39 Miles To Go!

Well, I wanted to thank you for the encouragement to ride 200 miles this month, which will be a personal distance record for me.  Previously, the most I have ridden in one month was 161 miles, so this morning, I actually hit my PR by rolling over the 162 mile marker for the month!  Feeling good.

Except I had to walk my bike during the last 1/2 mile to my house. 

Last night I went for a ride and nearly collided with a golden retriever that was running solo with it's leash trailing behind it.  Susie Ponytail was out for a run with her two dogs, but let the golden run free.  I was going at about 19 mph down the bike path and saw the dog playing in the river bed beside the path.  Then, it started running toward Ponytail and she didn't seem to focused on warning me, stopping the dog, etc.  I skidded to a stop, leaving about a 15 foot trail of rubber on the path. 

I am not opposed to ponytails, dogs or sharing the path.  But if you are out with your animals, please keep them on the leash, unless you are at a dog park or something.  Otherwise, it is unsafe.  Enough said.

So, this morning I went out at 5:30am (which I hate) to chase down my goal of 200 miles 201 Miles this month (thanks for the extra challenge, TRI714!) and at 8.2 miles into my ride, my rear tube went flat.  A quick inspection revealed this: 
So, I am both frustrated, but also a bit proud that I have ridden about 1500 miles on these tires and have actually worn them out (thanks, in part to the golden retriever)!

Now, I have to buy new tires, asap.   Some have suggested the Continental Gatorskin series (great for durability, but not as comfortable?) or the Cityride (better for comfort, good rolling resistance and wide enough for the weight of me and my bike).

Any recommendations?

Big Clyde

8 comments:

TRI714 said...

This statement is the truth- "that is the most worn out, roached out tire I have ever seen still opperable" That dog did you a favor homie. If you did kill yourself, you would have killed someone !! :-) Go to your LBC and buy a reasonable sale set of tires. KENDA makes great MTB tires, so does Michelin.

Tricia said...

eek!

but awesome job so far!

Patrick Mahoney said...

Wow. Yep time for some new tires. Great bike handling skillz as well.

midlife_swimmer said...

you were riding on those?

Jessica said...

Eek! You got your money out of those tires :) You are doing great!

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

Awesome progress... although I'm wondering if I can talk you into 30 days of running next month. ;-) Great job, Clyde. Here comes 200! (Well after you fix that accident waiting to happen.)

RockStarTri said...

You definitely got your money's worth out of that tire. When you go to the shop, I recommend to check the front too. I've had a lot of success with Gatorskins but I've only used the 700s (road bike) flavor.

Kimberley said...

I have to agree...you sure did get your money's worth out of that tire.