Saturday, April 2, 2011

30 Days of Biking - Days 1 & 2

This is my big news!  Inspired by Clive's post on his great blog http://www.massivemtber.co.uk/, I learned about the 30 Days of Biking Challenge. 

What is this thing?  "30 Days of Biking is a challenge to ride your bike every day for thirty days during the month of April. It is what you make of it. Your goals drive what the event means for you. The one common theme is that we all ride every day!"

So, whether it is a ride around the neighborhood, a commute to work, getting errands done or a good workout, the idea is to be on the bike every day for the next 30 days.

I have been a bit absent from blogging lately and will be using this weekend to catch up.  I found, not surprisingly, that the more I worked out (in March), the less time I had to post on my site and catch up on others.  So, when I did some poking around yesterday and found Clive's post about this, I jumped over the the 30 Days site and registered.  If you haven't done it yet, I am sorry to say that I think they closed registration at the end of the day, April 1st. 

However, none of us are really into following the rules, right?  If you'd like to join in, I suggest you start immediately and give yourself a quick "catch-up challenge" to make up for missing April 1st.  Or just ride for the next 30 days.  Your call, but the overall challenge is simple and should not be too intimidating to anyone. 

For example, last night I finished work at about 5:50, got changed and went out for a 15 minute ride.  It is Tucson, so it was blazing hot already and I did work up a quick sweat.  Then, I returned home and went to my son's talent show.  Not an impressive workout, but I was happy to get out there.  Day 1.

I may still do some running this month...we'll see.  But I have been splitting my workouts between running and cycling and will use April as a cycling-heavy month.  I love my bike, so I am really looking forward to this.

Day 2.  I was shoved out of bed at 6:15 this morning (due to previous instructions given to Mrs. Clyde...thanks for the discipline, honey!).  I am not used to morning workouts and can't tell you how much I hated getting out there.  But, once I was rolling, I was happy to be out there.  Exhausted, but happy.  I rode the La Canada hill, which I hate, and then finished with a nice 15 mile ride.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Big Clyde

7 comments:

Kimberley said...

I wish you much success on your 30 Days of Biking...you are off to a great start!!!

Great job Mrs. BC!

Raegun said...

The weather has been starting to warm up and I'm starting to see bikes in the neighbourhood. Maybe I should dust-off my own bike! Good luck with the challenge.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Clyde, this one fits you to a T. I'm sure you'll make the most of it. What do your kids think of this? Will they be joining you?

I'm going to pass on this one, but I'm posting my own exercise post on Monday, and it will involve biking.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Thanks for linking to Clive's blog, MassiveMTBer (mountain biker). I like it! Encourage folks to go check it out...

Chris K said...

Clyde, I want to thank you for contributing to my blog this morning. You saved the day when you said, "But the story doesn't stop there". Brilliant of you. Not sure if you are a U of A fan, but if so, I feel your pain as an SDSU fan.

Jessica said...

I am doing a thirty day challenge myself...only mine is running... today was my 16th day :)Over half way there :)

Clive Chapman said...

Thanks for the mention folks! Appreciate it!

Good luck with your challenges!