Tuesday, April 5, 2011

30 Days of Biking - Days 4 & 5



Me and Mrs. Clyde out for a ride.


This simple challenge is going pretty well so far.  Sure, how hard can it be for a guy to ride a bike 5 days in a row?
 
Good point.  And yet, I am all about celebrating the victories and trends (big or small).
 
I rushed home from work on Monday night and checked in with the fam, then announced that I was going out for a ride.  Surprisingly, the lovely Mrs. Clyde jumped up and wanted to go with me. 
 
She has a new Trek road bike, built for speed.  I have the world's heaviest commuter bike, loaded down with racks, lights, cable & lock, not to mention a "clydesdale-class" cyclist.  My bike is built for toughness and comfort.
 
Yet, when we were not even a mile from our house, she was pushing the pace.  I kept thinking,
  • "what's the hurry?"
  • "shouldn't we be pacing ourselves?"
  • and finally "I've ridden 10x your mileage over the past 18 months and there is no way I am going to be dragging my tail far behind you!"  (Not too proud of that one).
So, my wife pushed the pace on the outbound leg of our 8 mile ride.  Good times and I have really enjoyed the recent rides with the fam.  It is so much more fun to be out there with someone else.
 
Tonight, I worked a bit late then we went out for a nice dinner as a family before I take off on a business trip.  No time for a proper ride tonight, so I will just ride 2-3 miles around the neighborhood.  In keeping with the challenge of riding my bike for all 30 days in April, I am still 100%.
 
Keep moving everyone!
 
Big Clyde

8 comments:

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Clyde, it's so great how you've gotten your family involved. Hope you can keep biking on your business trip. That would be a big problem for me.

Random aside, a friend of ours is in the Marine Band. They travel for six weeks at a time and she has a fold-up bike she takes on the road. Loves it. That sounds so cool!

Tri4Success said...

Sounds like you're off to a roaring start! Pace is always a tricky thing riding with family but the important thing is getting out and being active together.

Jessica said...

I love that your family is riding with you! Wish I could talk my hubby into getting out with me a bit.

Luke said...

Realy cool that the wife is going with you! After my last race my wife now wants to start riding, she is looking at bikes but is more interested in cruisers.

Phill Kids said...

Fantastic something you and your wife do together. I'm just a fat lad out on my own.

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

How great that you can ride together!

Wait........that didn't sound right.......

Huh. Anyway. Good job on staying in the bike for 30 days thingy

Kimberley said...

Great job riding with Mrs. BC!!!

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

Admittedly jealous... can't get my husband to run with me for anything (thankfully, he does care about fitness, but is a tennis guy). I love that Mrs. Clyde was pushing the pace!