Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Man Camp - Re-cap

Last weekend, my friend and I went to Man Camp.  I didn't really want to go, but my wife encouraged me to do it and since it was going to involve a road trip and cycling, I signed up and recruited Crazy Jim to come with me. 

We left Tucson at 8am on Friday morning and arrived in Flagstaff around 1pm.  We hit Subway, then found the local bike shop to get a cycling map of the area.  I was looking for some big miles, but the town was pretty cool and there were several small brewery's nearby, so we just cruised on bike to the Northern Arizona University campus.

We realized pretty quickly that we were out of place on campus.  If we had blue windbreakers with "SECURITY" in yellow lettering we would have looked okay.  Instead, people either had to assume that we were professors (not likely) or that we were creepy grown men that like to ride around college campuses in the middle of a work-day. 
So, we left the campus, rode around a bit more and ended up (not surprisingly) at the Lumberyard Brewery Company.  We quenched our thirst and quenched it again (more me than Crazy Jim, our designated driver).

The Man Camp itself was great.  10 of us in a cabin, virtually all of us were strangers to each other.  Fred, our "cabin leader" brought a blueberry pie for our cabin.  Weird, but really an awesome idea, if you think about it.  I told him he was the best camp counselor I ever had.

In the middle of the night, I heard one person snoring.  Then, as if the other men were somehow joining in the chorus, there were about four guys snoring.  It was like four rottweillers fighting over a bone.

I can't describe the smell of the cabin in the mornings.  10 mouth-breathers in a closed room for 7 hours.  Add to that the smell of some b.o., random shoes and dirty socks...all in a 20' x 40' room.  It made us want to get out of bed in the morning and get out of the cabin.

When we went to go riding in the afternoon, I found that I had a flat.  Crazy Jim wasn't that interested in riding, so I rode his bike (a nice Trek commuter) down some mountain roads, but it was a bit bumpy without shocks and my bigger tires. 

Me and Crazy Jim...out on the trails.

Back at camp, I inflated my tire and rode a bit, but it deflated quickly.  At least I got a few miles in and it made me want to take my bike out on some trails back home.

I'll leave the spiritual lessons off this post, but there were several great takeaways for me.  In particular, I felt inspired to be a better husband and to get more involved in a local charity on a regular basis (involving my wife and kids as well).
Crazy Jim and I had a blast and headed home Sunday afternoon.  I rode the Schwinn Sunday night, a classic beauty that always makes me happy (but I still am hoping to sell it).

By the way...the 30 Days of Biking Challenge is going perfectly.  I have ridden my bike every day (except for two days on a stationary bike) since April 1st.  It is fun whether I am just doing a light cruise in the neighborhood, running errands or going for some distance.  Interesting challenge and one that I just may continue into May.

Big Clyde

8 comments:

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Ten more days on the challenge. This may be your best one yet. Way to go, Clyde!

Patrick Mahoney said...

Man Camp. What would have been awesome is a game of capture the flag at 3 AM.

Kudos on the challenge...

Tri4Success said...

Doing great on the 30 day challenge! Did you not have a spare tube for your bike with you?

Jessica said...

You are doing great. Glad you enjoyed camp :)

Bruce said...

A lot of times our wives know just what we need! Glad you had a good time and keep up the great work.

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

This one time at Man camp............

Sounds like you had a great time and I think the result and lesson is why your wife wanted you to go, no?

Glad the challenge is going well.

Kimberley said...

Man Camp sounds like fun!!! Except for the smelly parts...

You are really working your challenge!

RockStarTri said...

Sounds like a great time and the lessons will resonate for some time, I'm sure. The memory of the smell of that room in the morning my linger a long time too though.