Wednesday, April 27, 2011

New Tires = Greater Speed?

I purchased new tires for my bike yesterday.  I am very excited about them, but let me offer a few quick admissions:
  • I know...that my bike is a commuter/hybrid bike, very heavy and not a racing bike.
  • I know...that I would go a lot faster if I weighed a lot less.
  • I know...that my new tires are pretty basic LBS (local bike shop) tires and nothing to brag about.
Yeah, but still...

I am so excited because after the past few months of more intensive training (first running, then cycling), I am already getting faster on my bike.  After about two years of staying at the same approximate pace, I am now regularly riding about 2.3 mph faster.  On a proper road (racing) bike, my pace would be much faster.  But on my tank-like bike, I am really starting to see increased speed.  Could be the intensity, could be the increased mileage.  Either way, it is a great feeling.

So, I am expecting that the new tires will also help with speed.  They are somewhat lighter, thinner, and have less tread and rolling resistance than my old tires.  And then there is the "placebo effect"...I will GO faster, because I think the tires will make me go faster.  It's like I'm a 7-year-old and just got a new pair of sneakers...Hey Dad, watch how fast I can run!


Old:  Continental's Double Fighter II

New:  Continental's CityRide

Someday, I may go for a road bike and enjoy the speed that comes with it.  But for now, I love that I can use the same bike for monthly mileage, trips to the store and "packed-dirt" bike paths with the kids...all on one bullet-proof bike.

Good times.  Keep moving everyone!

Big Clyde

11 comments:

Patrick Mahoney said...

Yeah the slightly less treaded new tires will help with resistance, but then again the picture you posted showed no tread left on the old ones so I'm putting my money on the engine.

Kovas said...

It's not about the bike. :) So great you are enjoying your tank and using it so many ways!

Debbie said...

I just dusted my bike off (Merlin) and I am getting ready to start riding again. Enjoy the new tires.

Tri4Success said...

Go ahead and be that 7yr old - you will indeed feel faster on the new tires. Rolling resistance is not to be underestimated! That being said, Patrick is right that the engine has no doubt improved greatly. So pat yourself on the back, mount your bike, and finish that 30-day challenge strong!

Jessica said...

Yay for new tires :)

TRI714 said...

A - I'm glad you got new tires of any kind !

B- congrats on your accopmplishments. In my eyes they were huge. Thanks for the e-mails and including me in your quest to kicks it's butt and then some !

Kimberley said...

Yay for new tires...so close to your goal. I am getting excited!!!

John Romeo Alpha said...

Those smoother tires might let you go fast enough that your next hurdle is wind resistance!

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Clyde, I'm in a similar boat with the big heavy bike that I keep for now so I don't have to worry about it. Hadn't thought of new tires, but after I up my mileage, I'll think about it. Please report back in after a while to tell us if the tires measured up to your expectations.

lindsay said...

Ive been told that skinnier tires = less resistance/more speed. That's one of my excuses as to why I'm slow on my heavy, fat-tired hybrid anyway ;)

Even if the tires are benefiting you, I am sure they can't get all the credit! Your engine is getting stronger and stronger.

Raegun said...

Nice wheels!