Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Back...to the Future!

I started blogging in October of 2009 to see if a big guy could lose weight by riding a bike.  (the answer is "yes", but the weight comes off very slowly if he doesn't change his eating habits).

Then, on March 1, 2010, I finally changed my eating habits and counted about 1,800 calories per day and began to lose weight fast and steadily (with virtually no exercise).  In the first 12 weeks, I dropped 32 pounds!  That 12-week mark was one year ago yesterday.  Click here for the link to that post.

By September 6, 2010, I had dropped 50 pounds and ridden in several bike races and had run two 5k's.  Awesome! 

However, I hit that 50 pound mark like Oprah and likely gained back a pound the very next day, etc.

At the same time, my family was going through a very difficult experience that reached it's lowest point in September.  We stayed at that low point until March of this year.  (Things are much better now!).  During that time, my emotions and mental game were focused on family, work (always stressful, right?) and well, family.

So, since September, I have not tracked calories and rarely stepped on the scale.  I instead focused a bit more on mileage (running and cycling), but allowed myself to eat junk food and typical fatty entrees.  Not surprisingly, I have gained back weight.  About 25 pounds.  Most of you will be shocked by that, but some of you get it.

It is time for me to go BACK to my old habits that helped me lose those remaining 25 pounds from approximately this time last year through September.  With the same focus, I will re-lose those same pounds as I head in TO THE FUTURE.  This time, however, I will add consistent exercise. 

Notice that I didn't say that I will be adding aggressive exercise or stating huge epic goal-events, etc.  Those certainly might happen, but my goal this year is to exercise on a very consistent basis and make it a part of my life forever.

And improving my eating habits.

And losing those 25 pounds by September.

Again.

Never give up, my friends.

Big Clyde

P.S.  By the way, if you haven't yet checked it out, I recently started up another blog that just has some random posts on it.  Check it out when you have some time.  http://notangryjustsaying.blogspot.com/

12 comments:

Jessica said...

You got this :)

Kimberley said...

I feel you BC!!! Just posted my stats tonight...I am not giving up either!

I know you will reach your goal...combining healthy eating and exercise is certainly a winning combination!

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

No giving up. You're doing great. Recognize it and moving forward with a plan. That's greatness my friend.

Tri4Success said...

Right attitude. Right plan. Right man for the job.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Never give up, that's what we're all here for.

Bruce said...

I think we all come to the realization that as important as exercise is, it doesn't take much to wipe out the burn with poor choices when eating. I struggle with that myself. Tiredness, stress and other things make us fall back into easy habits. Keep working at it. We all need to keep encouraging each other. That's why we blog and read others blogs. Hang in there and I will too! :)

Susan said...

I immediately clicked on your blog because of the word Clydesdale. You see, about 4 yrs ago, I went to the beach in WA and saw that there were horses for rent. Me, my friend and daughter were large girls. The lady told us there was a weight limit, but we might go up the beach a bit because she thinks they have some Clydesdales. Oh so we did. and the guy laughed at us and said...that woman was F-ing with you. Nobody has Clydesdales to ride. She just made you big girls go on a silly mission.
We were mad and every so often call each other and just say Clydesdales and laugh.

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

I think consistent exercise, if your goal is weight loss, is right on. Epic athletic goals, much to my dismay, rarely help with weight loss.

Watched you lose it once and looking forward to watching again!!!

A.J. said...

HI Big Clyde. I am starting out myself so I'll be watching.

Michele said...

I am right there with you. I have not gained back 25-but am not as low as I was by a few pounds a few months ago. I am recommitting my efforts, too. Plus, you know I am an aspiring bike rider. So, I'll be back to support you!

Christine said...

I remember when you reached your low! I was so excited for you! Remember: it's NEVER too late to embrace a healthy lifestyle. Do it right now, today. I believe in you!!!
Christine
www.phoenixrevolution.net

She said I need a goal said...

Thanks so much for dropping by my blog and leaving me a comment. I too have had some family issues which caused me to regain about 20lbs (which I lost and kept off for over a year) so I'm back at it, trying to lose while training for a tri. Now I have between 50 and 60lbs to lose. If the follower thing was working I'd follow your blog, for now i'll bookmark it until it's working again.