Friday, June 3, 2011

I Laughed at a Runner...

Yes, I am admitting to you here...that I laughed at a guy in my neighborhood last night.  I know him, so maybe it's okay.    You decide.

He is a big guy, definitely.  And I get that we all have to start somewhere.  But this poor guy was out there, barely moving beyond a walking pace.  Shuffling, really.

He had all of the gear that a regular runner has:  the iPod, the Road ID bracelet, the safety cap-light, the TOO-SHORT running shorts showing the huge white thighs, etc.

Yet for all of the gear and the attempts to look like some high-speed triathlete, there he was just shuffling along.

And I found myself smiling at him at first.

And then, I laughed at him.

Like I said, it should be okay for me to laugh...I know him.

He is me.

I laughed at myself, on my first RUN in 10 weeks.  You can look at recent posts that discuss how I basically did nothing in May, or how I only rode my bike in April, or mixed running with cycling in March.

But on this first shuffle run since late-March, I remembered that I am a runner!   Yes, I was slow on this run, but I could remember going faster and I could remember going 3 miles without stopping and 4 miles without stopping and and 5 miles without stopping.  And I remembered completing my first (and only) 10K in January in 1:08 mins and being pretty proud of it all.

I realized that even the short runs, at a slow pace, can have huge impact on our mental game.  And in the end, the mental game is 90% of it for some of us.

So instead of being filled with regret and shame for falling backward on my running, etc., I found myself laughing at my situation and looking forward to seeing the progress come again. 

I love a comeback story, especially when I get to see it happen up close.

See you out there.

Big Clyde

17 comments:

Marilee said...

You started my day with a smile! Thanks.

GeorgiaSnail said...

To quote the poet, L.L. Cool J., "Don't call it a come back, I've been here for years."

Tri4Success said...

Great post. Great attitude. Laughing at yourself shows you have it all in perspective. You are poised for great things!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I like this post

Bruce said...

Way to get back after it! It is sad how quickly we lose what we had, but by getting back after it without waiting to long, it comes back quicker than if you were just starting.

Thanks for the laugh. If I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror before going out the door, I laugh at that guy too!

Kimberley said...

Great post!!! Glad to see you are back at running!

Soon your shuffle will become a full-fledged run!

I am still working up my nerve to rent a bike...soooon!

Julie said...

YEAH!!!! That is excellent and the way to go. Please help me laugh at myself tomorrow cuz I've set my self up for disappointment and I'm worried it will happen. Why do we have to except so much more then we can give or is it, I'm letting myself down knowing I can do this. Just like you, you can do it. This week I took off from all these things to try and sort them out. Didn't happen, but I'm learning. You are too and I am very proud of you and all that you're doing. Keep it up, you'll be back in the game in another run or two.
Take care and God Bless!!

Kovas said...

Great surprise twist!

ann said...

love it! so glad you got out there and didn't care! here i was thinking "what a prepared guy for not being a runner". Glad the twist had you back out there

Debbie said...

This made me giggle.. Have a great weekend and thanks for you support on my blog.

Megan said...

Good post - made me smile. :)

Chris K said...

Big Clyde, thanks for your nice comment on my Blog. I'm with the others here, I'm digging the attitude. I am always inspired when I see big people running. If you know the Blogger Tricia Running, she lost 128 lbs by "eating right, and keep moving". Just keep moving and one day maybe you will laugh at yourself for laughing at yourself.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Keep running in June Clyde! Maybe I should laugh more at myself. I'm pretty laughable on the diamond these days.

Caratunk Girl said...

This post is awesome.

Susy said...

Hi, new follower here! =) Well I just stopped by to wish you luck on the June Boom challenge, since I've also joined, but I must say, I was not expecting to get a good laugh in as well! Thanks for that! =)

Michele said...

Good for you in seeing the light and bright side of your running. Before you know it you will be entering a 5km!

Carrie said...

Thanks for the reminder to laugh at myself more. I'm definitely laugh-worthy :) Keep up the great work! I'm your newest follower!