Wednesday, June 22, 2011

JUNE BUST

Despite great intentions toward achieving the JUNE BOOM challenge (thanks again, Alan!), I have failed in that area.  To put it very simply, I have not been running, cycling or exercising lately.

Why?  I always wonder if it is worthwhile to rationalize or justify why something didn't get done, but I believe that we all have to make those choices of balancing work, family, etc., and exercise for me is one of those areas that I am willing to sacrifice at times.  Add in the fact that exercise has never been a lifelong love of mine and it tends to be the first to go.

Work has been tough.  I am in sales in the construction industry.  Every month, I hear about 2-3 people that are getting laid off, due to the slow housing trends.  These are either co-workers or customers, but they are people that I am close to and it adds to feelings of sadness and worry.  When it is a co-worker, it adds to more work for those of us who remain.  I believe that things are slowly improving, but the concern is strong with everyone in our business.

My family is great, all are healthy.  We are enjoying having so much time together while my wife and kids are on summer break.  When I finish work at 6pm or so, we tend to play together.  It seemed easier for me to go for a run or a ride when they were buried under piles of homework.

I have been vague about a huge church problem that occurred last year, but the ripples continue to spread out amongst our large circle of friends.  We were basically a large group of friends that met up every week at a church that we loved.  That all ended in November.  Since that time, we all feel a bit scattered and are working through individual feelings of insecurity, frustration and a basic lack of meaningful worship.   We are still social, but this thing still needs to heal up and it continues to eat up time each week...even lately.

So, I have been away from the blogs a bit lately and away from exercise, but I hope to get back in gear soon.

I hope that you are all doing well and I will continue to check in as I can.

Big Clyde

10 comments:

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

So good to hear from you. Glad you're spending time with your family. Wouldn't it be fun to take them with you on a ride or run? Hang in there and don't be a stranger!

Bruce said...

A lot of people admire you because of your honesty and your great sense of humor. Sometimes we have to make hard choices where to focus our attention. I hope you can get a handle on things. I find that working out helps me with stress on a lot of different angles so don't let unimportant things get in the way of what is really important. Things will work out. Sometimes you just have to hang on and ride it out.

Frank said...

BC,
Your honest with yourself. Your honest with us. Your aware of what you have to do and motivated enough to get it done. Impetus will get the best of all at times. Balance is important in life and maintain it requires time. Online communities are beneficial. There is even evidence to support this.

http://www.dailyrx.com/news-article/3-d-virtual-weight-loss-program-may-help-you-lose-weight-and-feel-better-13925.html
Go easy on your self and remember you are not in it alone, nor all for yourself. Your contribution inspires and helps me get myself in gear, even on days I sure as hell DO NOT WANT TO.

Michele said...

Glad to see you stopped back. Like the doc, I am glad you are spending time with family. I'd say time for a family ride to some fun destination!

Jo said...

Life gets in our way sometimes, Clyde, and it runs in cycles (no pun intended!). Your exercise will become a top priority again in time. Enjoy your time with your family while you can, before they go off with families of their own.

Kimberley said...

Hey Clyde! Nice to see you. I understand about the being busy and I can tell you are a very dedicated family man...which is a wonderful thing.

Hope you get the church problems settled. I know your faith is important to you and it must be unsettling to experience strife in your church family.

Enjoy your family time!!!

Clive Chapman said...

Keep your chin up feller...

Jessica said...

I haven't Boomed with running this month either...I have done spin class consistently and walking...but no running.
I think sometimes we need a bit of a break...
Will be thinking of you!

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

Priorities are important... and family should be the top one. I'm in agreement with some of the other commenters... maybe it's time to go back to making exercise family time - doesn't have to be a run or a bike... a hike, a ride on a kayak, I don't know what you have near you... definitely cheering in your corner... and praying that you resolve the issues with your brothers and sisters at church. That is a very tough thing to deal with.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Thanks Clyde. I certainly hear you. Work and family really shape our lives and can redirect even our best intentions. I am in a constant tug-of-war with those factors. I've been able to go with the family side, being active with my boys (if not heavily working out). But work is just about consuming me these days, and I'm definitely not hitting the exercise as hard as I would in a perfect world.