Saturday, July 16, 2011

El Tour de Tucson 10K Race Planning

This has been a great week for me, except my wife and kids were away on a trip visiting distant relatives.  Maybe their absence gave me some time to focus on the Clydesdale Project.  So, last Monday, I started eating better, weighing myself and doing cardio pretty much each night.

Tomorrow, I'll do a long run of 5 miles.  I haven't run that distance in four months, so I'll be curious to see how it goes.   I know that my low-calories (and low-carbs) have likely made me weaker on my runs/rides.  I will have to play with a good target of daily calories for my current activity and weight loss goals.  My guess is that it will be around 1,800 - 1,900.  This week, it has been less per day.

UPDATE:  My run this morning did not go well at all.  I intended to do 5 miles, but only got 4.4 miles done and I walked most of the second half.   What happened?  I am guessing, but I think I was too hot (about 90 degrees), I had too few calories in me the last few days, and maybe I went a bit too hard on my first week back at running after a few months away.  I'll rest today and tomorrow and do a 2.5 mile run on Tuesday.

I also was reviewing some upcoming races and saw the El Tour de Tucson 5K that I did last year.  I actually got 3rd in my age group, which was remarkable.  Mrs. Clyde suggested that I do the 10K route instead this year, so that's what I'll do.  I ran a 10K in January with 8 weeks of training.   There are 9 weeks prior to the 10K and I will go back to my Hal Higdon training plan to get me ready.  Here is my report from last year's 5K race.

What is your next big race or event?

13 comments:

oh_mg said...

Good luck with training for the 10k! I did one and enjoyed it, though my favorite race distance (so far) is 8k. 5k feels a little short and the 10k was nice but something about 8k feels perfect. 5ish miles, just right. Working on half-marathon training now ... I may be a little crazy. :)

Tri4Success said...

Sounds like a good way to get back in the racing groove! My next event is a duathlon in, oh, about 2 hours. What I'm training for? I'd say but I have yet to announce it on my own blog.

Kimberley said...

I am so glad you linked to the post from last year. I didn't have a computer for 4-5 months and I NEVER saw the real you!!! Hi BC!

Good luck with the training.

I have no races or events planned...maybe I should find a 5K walk to do.

Christina said...

Good luck on your long run! I can't wait to hear how good it feels. :)

My next big race is the same day as your next big race! I have two halves between now and them, but I'll be running those at marathon race pace instead of half marathon race pace. Woohoo, nine weeks!!!!

Emily @ Journey to the Center of Manhattan said...

my next event is my first marathon-- NYC in november. reading that just made me say holy shit about 3 times really loudly. I need a life censor. Hope you guys in Tucson are staying cool - I grew up there and definitely miss the jaw dropping badass summer thunderstorms.

Mary said...

I shared your fitness goals this week in my newsletter, "Best of gthe Best" (in the weight loss blogging community) You made first edition Clyde!!! :) Take care my friend. Mary

Julie said...

It is never a fail. You got out there, you ran some, you jogged some, you walked. YOU MOVED!! Yes, not exactly what you wanted but hey, you got out there.
Keep up the great work, take care and God Bless!!

Bruce said...

If you read what Hal Higdon says about the long run, he says that it is ok to walk some of it. The idea is to get used to longer distances. Considering you have been away from training for while, I think you did great! Just keep after it.

My next race is the Hobble Creek half marathon on August 20th. Did a long run last Friday. 9 miles with my son-in-law. It was nice to have a running buddy for a change. It really helped.

Fat Daddy said...

Dude! 4.4 miles? That is awesome. And yes...a bit over the top in terms of a first week back.

I don't have any races planned, but I will be ramping things up and adding things back to the mix as my body allows me.

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

Glad you're back at it, but be careful. It's HOT! Hydrate. You cannot over hydrate in this heat. That will make you draggy on those runs. Great job on the plan for the 10K and the training!

Michele said...

Nice to see you moving in the direction of that 10 KM. That will keep you motivated, too. I think you will find that you really missed it.

Sean Anderson said...

Very nice post, Clyde---Your dedication is very inspiring! I have a moonlight run coming up in August. It's just a 5K--But I'm hoping to job the majority---instead of fast walking the route like last year!!! ;) My best always, my friend!!

Jen said...

Doing a 10K is a GREAT goal!
Try not to melt.
Tucson's summer is BRUTAL!