Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Weigh-In Day and My Fantasy

I lost 10 pounds last week.

Here's what I did:
  • Ate approx 1,700 calories per day of very healthy stuff.  Veggies, egg whites, turkey pep, yogurt, fruit and tons of water (and my usual tremendous intake of coffee).
  • I rode my bike twice, low mileage.
  • I ran a total of 12.5 miles last week, in four separate outings. 
  • That makes 6 days of cardio in a week.
Some quick disclaimers:
  • I had eaten poorly the 6 months  weekend  before my initial weigh-in last Tuesday, so my starting point might have been a bit high. 
  • My running mileage was high for me...maybe too high.  This is tied for the highest mileage I have ever done in a 7 day period.  As I progressed through the week, I realized that I should have slowly built up to it to avoid injury, etc. 
  • I also ran at night and at mid-day.  Same with cycling.  It just doesn't work well in the desert.  Yes, I got it done, but my speed and energy suffered big-time, making me dread my next workout.  This is a dangerous thing for a heavy guy who is coming back into some good habits.
And while I am on the subject of weight...if you are just starting out and are 70-100+ pounds overweight (like I am), please know that changing your food and light exercise (even walking) is so much better than joining a gym, C25K, riding lots of miles on the bike, etc.  Moderate or heavy exercise is DIFFICULT at that weight level and can get discouraging.  Controlling your food can be challenging enough...focus on that and a consistent walking program and you will lose weight and not get discouraged.  As you progress, then add some intensity to the workouts.

I say this because some of us bloggers start to compare ourselves with others regarding mileage, workout intensity, etc. and it can be discouraging.  I know it may sound silly, but I fantasize about arriving at a 5k race starting line where everyone had the same bmi or height/weight ratios as me...now, that would be a race!  How about showing up at your local bike shop for the Saturday ride and asking everyone to load up their backpacks with extra pounds to equal yours?  Let's hit those hills and grind out 40 miles! 

The good news is that 99% of the people out there are really just trying to encourage us heavier people to keep going and never give up.  At race events or my bike shop, I don't feel judged because of my weight...I know that we are all part of the same club:  "people who are working to improve ourselves".  (But I will still bring an extra backpack and some bricks with me if anyone wants to start smack-talking!)

My Goals for this Week:
  • Drop another 5 pounds.
  • Diligently follow the Hal Higdon 10K training plan, Week 1.
  • Exercise in the early morning, before it gets too hot outside.
  • Maintain 1700 daily calories of good healthy food.

 Make it a good week everyone!

 
Big Clyde

15 comments:

Bruce said...

You never know who might be passing you in a race, giving you encouragement as the pass you, who know exactly how hard it is what you are doing! I admire anyone who gets out there and tell them how great they are doing. I know how hard it is.

I love your weekly goals. You are going about this right. Keep up the great work Clyde! Do this for three weeks straight and I promise you will notice a huge difference!

TRI714 said...

progress in the right direction is always a good thing.

MrsFatass said...

Yay! 10 pounds!

I love the first week.

And? Your advice is spot on. We don't have to eat the elephant in one gulp. Just a few healthy changes at a time - like walking and drinking water - all add up.

Remind me of that when I'm teetering on the edge of a pint of ben and jerrys, will ya?

Tri4Success said...

Excellent progress, outlook, and plan. Keep executing the plan!

Mer and Mo said...

Great job on the drop this week! And I like the advice. I started out with baby steps and the pounds came off, time for me to kick it up a step, but still stay on the right path!! Will not get discouraged.

Staying MOtivated MO

Fat Daddy said...

Man Clyde! You crushed it! That is a great week. I'm gonna do 5 pounds myself this week too.

And you're right about building up. I so desperately want to be doing what I was doing last year, but my body is just not ready for it.

Progress is all that matters. One step at a time.

Tricia said...

congrats friend

Jo said...

Great week indeed!

Miss S. said...

You are so right-small changes lead to bigger & better things. Congrats on the loss.

Kimberley said...

Congratulations Clyde!!! Awesome loss!!!

Although I am waaaaay over 100+ pounds overweight I rock the gym!!! Two 90 minute yoga classes per week and three 50+ minutes of cardio at the gym.

I am definitely not the fastest moving person at the gym, but I don't let it bother me...I know I am in there working it at my own level.

The eating is within my grasp...so close, but not quite there.

So glad you are back in the groove!!!

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

You're doing so well and I love your goals for the next week. Keep it up!

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Whoa Clyde! Congrats on a big week. Did you lose weight just thinking of that night at Baskin Robbins?

Michele said...

Great post! Great weight loss and great attitude as you regroup!

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

Woo-hoo!!!!!! 10 lbs. Progress. Take it. Run with it. Way to get back on the horse with style.

And I completely agree with your side note. If weight loss is your top priority, watching your food and moderate exercise is a great plan. Intense exercise can be hard on the body, I'll be the first to admit it. BUT if you *want* to do a longer distance, and weight loss isn't the priority, then don't ever let your weight stop you! ;-)

Jessica said...

Great job Clyde.