|"Obesity finds it hardest to catch up with those who are running."|
There are not a lot of big guys out there running. That either means that 1) the big runners become small runners very soon or 2) big guys simply do not run.
So why am I doing it? I ask myself this quite a bit, especially given that most of my friends who workout, are just into cycling.
- I like running because I get to stay close to home (within a few miles anyway). I love my neighborhood and I love knowing that home is pretty close, even if I am running.
- I like running because, unlike a weight machine, I can't quit if I am 2 miles away from home. Yes, I can slow to a quick walk (like I recently did), but my runs are an "out-and-back" venture. No quitting once the journey has begun. I always have to finish the workout in order to get home.
- I like to run because it keeps me away from diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, meds, etc.
- I like running because it is primal. Animals run. Kids run. People living in caves at the beginning of time had to run. If there is an emergency, you run. For decades, I couldn't do this very basic thing. Now, I can. I just want to do it faster and longer.
- It burns a lot of calories...
- ...at a cheap price. No gym membership, no gear is required and no equipment failure. You can get started by opening your front door.
If you run, why did you start and why do you like it?