Thursday, July 21, 2011

Why Run?

"Obesity finds it hardest to catch up with those who are running."
I was out on my run early this morning.  Do you know who I saw?  Women, of various ages, that likely weighed between 120 and 160 pounds.  Occasionally, I will see some guys out there, but they are also well below 200 pounds.

There are not a lot of big guys out there running.  That either means that 1) the big runners become small runners very soon or 2) big guys simply do not run.

So why am I doing it?  I ask myself this quite a bit, especially given that most of my friends who workout, are just into cycling.
  • I like running because I get to stay close to home (within a few miles anyway).  I love my neighborhood and I love knowing that home is pretty close, even if I am running.
  • I like running because, unlike a weight machine, I can't quit if I am 2 miles away from home.  Yes, I can slow to a quick walk (like I recently did), but my runs are an "out-and-back" venture.  No quitting once the journey has begun.  I always have to finish the workout in order to get home.
  • I like to run because it keeps me away from diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, meds, etc.
  • I like running because it is primal.  Animals run.  Kids run.  People living in caves at the beginning of time had to run.  If there is an emergency, you run.  For decades, I couldn't do this very basic thing.  Now, I can.  I just want to do it faster and longer.
  • It burns a lot of calories...
  • ...at a cheap price.  No gym membership, no gear is required and no equipment failure.  You can get started by opening your front door.
Yes, running is tough.  But I feel tough because I am running.

If you run, why did you start and why do you like it?

Big Clyde

9 comments:

Emily @ Journey to the Center of Manhattan said...

I was always so embarrassed to run when I was lugging around 200-lbs, but at some point I told myself to shove it, and that I was going to take charge of my life so that I wouldn't be lugging around that much weight for very long. almost 25 lbs lighter, I still feel like the fat person out running with a bunch of fit people, but I keep reminding myself that I'm likely delusional from lack of oxygen and then turn up my music and keep going.

Bruce said...

I started leaving a long reply, but I think I will save it for a blog post. In summary, it has progressed as I have become more fit. I run for a lot of different reasons now that have built upon the others. It has ended up saving my life and my sanity (if I had any to begin with!).

Keep after it Clyde! You are doing great!

Christina said...

Those are GREAT reasons to run! Nice list, Clyde. :) I don't see many big runners here in Cincinnati either. I can't wait to look more like the average runner. We're well on our way, my friend.

I started running to celebrate being able to walk without pain, and I love running because it's always a challenge (100*F weather, ice, darkness, time, ...).

Kovas said...

I like running because it hurts in a good way, gives me hope, and makes me feel like I'm doing something not just for myself but for my family.

oh_mg said...

I spent so many years being slow. I could barely walk. Now, when I run, it's not just running - it's me, moving myself forward, fast. And nothing relieves stress like stomping on the ground for a few miles. :) I actually read a perfect quote on another blog today, gotta share:

"I knew aerobic exercise was a powerful antidepressant, but I hadn't realized it could be so profoundly mood stabilizing and - I hate to use the word - meditative. If you don't have answers to your problems after a four-hour run, you ain't getting them." - Christopher McDougall, "Born to Run"

Tri4Success said...

This is an excellent post and those are great reasons for running. I started running only 6 months ago for cross-training purposes and to see if I had finally strengthened my knees enough to handle it. All the therapy and plyometrics of the past year helped and my running has been injury free. Can't say I like it yet - still prefer cycling!

I do the same thing with out and back courses on windy days. I'll bike with the wind at first even though that means I have to fight it on the return when I may already be tired. I can't quit miles from home!

pana ferraro. said...

I run because it makes me feel alive. :D

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

That Tri4Success dude is fibbing, he just wanted to prove he could run faster than his sister (which he can by a lot)... totally kidding... but I'm still not taking up cycling (oh, the pressure).

OK, back to your post... the "big guys don't run" comment. I would venture to say that at any race I go to in this city, at least 50% of the people are present are people of shape and size where you wouldn't say "yeah, that person is a runner". I have seen so many amazing men and women push that finish line when people surrounding them in life maybe say it couldn't/can't/shouldn't be done. So keep on keeping on. I love your renewed vibrance with the fitness... praying that your other situations (particularly with your church fellowship) are resolving...

Bruce's Bike Blog said...

Hey Big Clyde! I am ready to start running. I think that's what I need to do to get my weight down. I'm at 240 and no matter how much I bike, try to eat right, etc, I can't seem to get below 230. Thanks for being an inspiration to me--hope to return to Tucson soon as well! Cheers! Bruce