Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Feets of August - The Beginning

In late March, I found out about "30 Days of Biking" for April.  I did it and it was a blast.  Very fun to "force myself" to get on the bike every day for a month.

My ankles look big, but my shins are AMAZING!
On July 30th, I started wondering what would happen if I did something similar in August, only with running or walking.  Some days would be runs, according to my 10k training plan.  On "rest days", I could certainly do a casual 20-30 minute walk...that's still exercise, but likely not stressful on the joints, etc.


 
And so it begins...


FEETS OF AUGUST!

I know, I know...it's kind of cheezy, but I like it.  Join me if you like (run it through Labor Day, Sept. 5th to make a full month).  Through the month of August, I will be on my feet with a fast walk, a slow run or my usual huffy-puffy-shuffle.  Regardless, I'll be out there every day*.

Day 1 - Monday.  I decided to start very late at night after watching Breaking Bad on tv.  So late that night, I wimped out walked and enjoyed the silence.

Day 2* - Tuesday.  Bought bottle of vodka on way home from work for a celebratory drink after a great month at work.  One medium drink made me again postpone my run until very late at night.  Then came the lightning storm. I chose life!   But I failed at "Feets of August" on Day 2.
Photo by David Sanders of AZ Daily Star. (please don't sue me)
Day 3 - Mrs. Clyde invited me out for a date night.  The kids stayed at home.  I couldn't resist.  Ate too much, including dessert, at Chili's.  Nothing redeeming about it, except for the fun flirting with my wife!  Drank a powerful margarita.  Went for a rambling walk, then run of 2.66 miles.  Wanted to puke the entire way.  (Note to self:  alcohol before running is a bad idea.  Add in some french fries, chipotle mayo, jalapenos and "molten chocolate lava cake" before running and you can go ahead and consider yourself a complete idiot.  Learn from this, Clyde.)

So there you have it.  A slow, inconsistent and borderline-drunken start to "Feets of August".   As you can see, it can only get better from Day 4 onward.  Join me.

Big Clyde

P.S.  My only idea for a logo for this month is to show a picture of my feet in the Brooks Beast shoes.  If you want to join in and/or want to come up with a better logo, be my guest! 

11 comments:

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Love the title, Clyde! Maybe some cheese, but it's genre appropriate. And you have the exact same shoes I have. I'll be thinking of Feets as I move around my neighborhood this month.

Chubby McGee said...

Feets of August. Tee-hee. I love it.

GO GET 'EM!!!!

Christina said...

Great idea! Can I commit to just five days/week on my feets?

"Borderline-drunken start" - that is awesome and put a smile on my face. :)

Tri4Success said...

Many of us have made the molten chocolate lava cake mistake .... they can be irresistible!

Fat Daddy said...

I'll join your feets Clyde. Mine will be all walks though. I'm still rehabbing a tricky knee while cutting weight to be ready to resume running on September 1. Three days in, and three walks so far.

That drunken walking / running is tough. I pulled that move on a treadmill in August of 09. I wrote about it. I survived but it was touch and go.

Jessica said...

Sounds like a great plan! Go get 'em! :)

Tricia said...

love it, its going to be a great month!

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

HEE HEE. Feets. I like it. Not feet, but the title. In fact I'm not crazy about feet at all. Icky. Here it is day 4 and I'll give it a try.

Kimberley said...

I am sticking to the gym three times and yoga once a week for now.

But I will be cheering your feets from the sidelines.

Go Clyde!

Bruce said...

I have been out of touch while I climbed the Uintas, but I when I read your first few days I thought that you and I need to have a talk about pre-run nutrition. A pre-meal at Chili's is not the best start! :)

Kimberley said...

How are your feets going Clyde?