Monday, August 22, 2011

The Slow and The Furious

I hate this.  My back must be healing, albeit very slowly.  I have a bulging disk and it makes everything a bit more difficult.  The meds definitely help ease some pain, but make my brain get foggy and I have slept more this past weekend than I care to admit.

My "workouts" (hardly a fair term) are 15-30 minute walks around my neighborhood.  On the good walks, I try to walk without any limp whatsoever.  I know that this all will heal, but for now, it just sucks. 

And now, my new pledge...

I, Big Clyde, do solemnly swear
that I will be diligent in healing up from this back injury
and when healed,
I will not take exercise for granted.
I will ride my bike,
or jog or run
and even do the core exercises,
which I have avoided over the past 18 months
(so that this doesn't happen again).

How ironic that I am more diligent now with my Feets of August challenge than I was earlier in the month. 

Big Clyde

6 comments:

Kimberley said...

Sorry you are still in pain Clyde. That really sucks!

Sending you some healing vibes...take care.

Jessica said...

Take it easy...feel better!

Forward Foot Strides said...

Aww sorry to hear you're injured. Way to go on still doing what you can, and I'm wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

I know how frustrating an injury can be especially when I knew better. Hang in there and feel better soon.

Kat said...

Wow, BC, so sorry to hear you're still in so much pain. I feel ya on how the meds make you feel, too - I hate that groggy, foggy feeling I get when I have to take any.

I absolutely love your pledge to yourself. I've been laid up for about 2 weeks now and have had time to really appreciate what it means to be healthy. I am determined to be better and more consistent in taking care of myself, working out, and losing weight as soon as I can get back to a normal life. I need to remember how frustrated and helpless I've been feeling the next time I grumble about something like taking the dogs for their mile walk!

As always, your honesty and humility are both humbling and inspiring. I am SO GLAD to have found your blog!

Hang in there and take care.

Bruce said...

My back and hip experience from earlier in the year had me pledging the same thing. For the most part, I have been much better on all accounts in taking better care of my back. Thanks for a good reminder to keep doing it.