Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Cherry, Cherry - Song #4

Do you have a name for your bike?

I think it is is funny when I read people's names for their bikes and I like the idea that people have such affection for their bikes, but I have never been one to do it myself.  I do have my sturdy commuter bike, which I call HUCC-B.  In reality, it was Neighbor Ted who sarcastically named my bike the HUCC-B.  But it came from an authentic place, so I kept it.

But my beloved vintage Schwinn Collegiate?  I never named her.  And now she is gone, traded in for some folding money.  What have I done?  I didn't even have a name to call out as she rode off in the back of that crappy Toyota pick-up.

She got the way to move me...

So I started thinking of music.  My ipod is always with me and I started rolling through some songs.  And her name came to me.

From Neil Diamond's "Hot August Night" album in 1973, just one year before my beloved was manufactured at the Schwinn Bicycle factory in Chicago.

So, here is song #4 in my countdown of tribute songs to my departed "Cherry".  Enjoy.


Come back tomorrow for #3. 

Big Clyde

P.S.  Took the HUCC-B out for a hill-climb ride tonight.  I just about blew a lung, but it felt good to be back on a bicycle, which I couldn't ride for awhile due to a case of lethargy and injury.  Back in the saddle again.   Thanks for never giving up on me.

2 comments:

Kovas said...

I've never named by bikes (or my Garmin), but if I did, they'd both be Big Red.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Glad to hear you're back in the saddle again. Haven't named my bike, nor given it a gender.