Friday, September 16, 2011

A New Schedule? Advice needed.

Hello, friends.  I have healed up quite a bit from the back pain that I experienced a few weeks ago.  Physical therapy and time have really helped. 

During this time period, however, I have not eaten well and not exercised much at all (running and cycling).    I'm fully out of all good habits, but otherwise doing fine.  If I were a 26-year-old, that might not be a bad thing.  But I am 45 years old.  This is the age when obese men and women get diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and the concrete begins to set in to that sedentary lifestyle.   

I've read many blogs and people talk of "returning" to their exercise routines from their college days or their younger years.  That is cool.  I admire that.  So many people were pretty active during their teen and early adulthood years.  They remember the early morning runs, or football practices, or track meets.  They had the discipline of early morning workouts or steady routines.  I would guess that those memories give them confidence because they can recall their efforts and rewards from the past.

It's almost amusing to me that I never had those experiences.  I never really saw the benefit  in all of that sweating and exertion. 

Where am I going with this?

I need to get a consistent workout schedule. 

When I started this blog (nearly two years ago), my wife worked A LOT of evenings, the kids were younger and homework was minimal.  Family dinners were rare.  I had lots of time to blog and could leave the kids for frequent nightly workouts.  But now, we are all home every night and we are enjoying family dinners together and there is a constant need to assist with homework. 

Do I workout right before dinner? 
After the kids have gone to bed (sacrificing some time with my wife)?
The dreaded early, early morning workout?   (I've never been a fan)

One thing is clear...my "life/health clock" is ticking and I've got to get back to consistent exercise.

What works best for you and your family?  I welcome your advice.

Big Clyde

9 comments:

Bruce said...

I have said this before, but it bears repeating. The morning workout is the only one that works for me. I am not a morning person either, but I have gotten used to getting up and getting it done. Nobody wants my time at 5am when the alarm goes off. That gives me enough time to get the workout in and still get back in time to drive the kids to school.

For me, if I have something to work towards, it helps me get the training in. For me, I have enjoyed signing up for races and then following a training schedule to get ready for it. Your iTouch challenge worked for you.

You'll figure it out.

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

I'm afraid I'm another vote for the morning. I hate getting up, but its so nice to have it done and get to enjoy the day with your fam. Plus you aren't spending the whole day delaying and making excuses. When I run in the evening, its on my mind all day.

Kat said...

Another vote for the morning workout here. I tried working out in the afternoons but I just couldn't be consistent due to work obligations. In the morning, though, working out is the only thing I have to do until it's time to go to work.

Well...except sleep, I guess lol...

I can't deny it's hard to get out of bed at 4:15am, but once I'm up and moving I love the quiet and solitude of the early morning hours. I ALSO greatly enjoy knowing that, once it's time to go home, I can actually go HOME. Plus, if I have something to do in the afternoon/evening, I don't have to worry about making time for exercise. For me, it's a win/win.

Michele said...

And yet another vote for the morning work out. That is the only way I can get 'er done with a busy work schedule. Our kids are grown, but, evenings are too packed. If I do it in the morning I can not make the million excuses about delaying it. I used to be a morning person, but not so much now. But, I still do my workout in the morning. Morning person or not, when I am working. Weekends are different.

Miss S. said...

When I was working, I would do it right after work-before all the evening craziness. I fund it bridged between work me & family me very well. Could you make it work?

Jessica said...

I work out right after work, before going home. If I make it home before my workout, more than likely the workout doesn't happen. Would love to throw in some morning workouts, but it has never worked for me...except on the weekends.

John Romeo Alpha said...

Here's a vote from a fellow Arizonan for the 9pm workout. It's not only that I am not a morning person, it's that I am hitting a physical peak about 9pm at night. My night workouts are exhilarating and positive, while anytime I try to do it early in the morning it just turns out to be a disaster that I don't want to repeat. Cycling, running, lifting, heck hanging up a heavy bag and punching it till you can't hold your arms up any longer all feel good to me at 9pm. It really depends on your own personal daily cycle as well as your other commitments and habits.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Hi Clyde. I was just going to ping you. Glad to hear from you.

A few considerations: How's your eating routine? You may find it more doable to control that when things are busy. Also, watch the exercise for sleep trade off. If getting exercise means being sleep deprived, it might not be a good trade. Finally, can you work in a long exercise once or twice a week to lighten the load on other days?

Oh, and what about exercising with the kids? That seemed to be a good compromise before for you.

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

Glad to hear your back is improving. I had to chuckle because I often think about all those years when I was younger in high school and college that I wasted not working out. It's such a huge part of my life now.

Honestly the best schedule for working out is the one that works for you. I know you are enjoying your family time and it is absolute priority, BUT without a healthy lifestyle and exercise is huge part, years to enjoy your family will be fewer.

SO, find a way to work it in. For me I do either mornings or lunch time workouts. Evenings are hectic for me also and it's just impossible. I have enough "mommy guilt" as it is.

But, truthfully, some days are am, some noon and some evening workouts. Basically I have to sit down with my iphone and schedule the time like I would any other appointment. And that's the best advice I can give. You have to give workouts the same priority as other things. In fact for a while the workouts may need to get top priority until you get in the habit.

Your family will understand and give a little now to spend more time with you later. In the long run, you all win! Keep writing Clyde! I love your blog!