Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The December Mantra

I've avoided the scale for a few months now.  For a few reasons (and a lot of excuses), I've also avoided:
  • egg white veggie breakfasts
  • my running shoes
  • water
  • my blog
  • your blogs
  • sweat
  • dailymile.com
  • fruit and veggies (are they even still in season??)
  • my bike
  • sparkpeople.com
  • the "Big Clyde"(*) sandwich at Subway (foot-long ham with tons of veggies, no cheese and vinagrette)
  • 2011 race schedules

Here is what I have spent my time on recently:
  • family evenings at home
  • work with new bosses and some new strategies
  • pizza
  • candy
  • my La-Z-Boy DreamTime Reclina-Rocker
  • ice cream
  • laziness comfort
  • a warm house, sheltered from the cold outdoors

Honestly, I don't predict a change in behavior tonight.  Or tomorrow. 

But I want to get back to that feeling of having lost 50 pounds like I did a year ago.  I dropped the weight and I did it pretty quickly. 

It came off quickly and pretty easily with food choices (in the first few months) and then increased exercise.  It is math, like we all know.  Burn more calories than you take in. 

But what about the yo-yo pattern?  How about those stats about how so many people lose weight, only to gain back even more?  Sure, that's me (now).  I am the cliche.  Guilty.  Now, ask me if I care.

I can't change history.  I had a tough year and focused elsewhere.   Whatever.

But I'm not done yet.

The future is unwritten...for all of us.

Here's my mantra for December:

"The best way
to predict the future
is to invent it."     - Theodore Hook


There, I feel better already.  Thanks for hanging in there with me, my friends.

Big Clyde

5 comments:

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Clyde, I'm with you. I liked the "red shirt season" concept from one of your last posts. Let's do it in 2011. I know I need to take it to another level.

Jessica said...

I have laxed up on my diet since Thanksgiving...but still going strong with the exercise. I will weigh in the new year! Enjoy your holidays!!!

Bruce said...

It's always a struggle through the holidays. It's a major victory to not gain weight. I have never thought in January that it was worth the weight gain. It's all I can do not to go overboard.

I need a big plan in addition to prepping for my first marathon. I need to lose weight along the way so I am not carrying extra weight to the finish line.

Let's get it figured out and get it done!

Mer and Mo said...

Thanks for your honesty - 2012 is just around the corner...looking forward to encouraging you all the way once you are ready!!!

MO

45and304 said...

With you Clyde! This is Kimberley from K The Phoenix...I have a new blog now!