Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Longest Mile

I ran last night for the first time in two months, I finally went for a run.  Two miles in exactly 28 minutes.

Mile #1 started with 5 minutes of walking.  Then a 2 min run, 2 min walk interval.  I finished mile #1 in 15 minutes. 

Since it was an out-and-back and I was now warmed up, I decided to run the entire way back at a light pace.  Mile #2 took 13 minutes.

The hardest mile was #1.  It didn't really take me 15 minutes.  It is pretty fair to say that it took me about two months, due to my procrastination. 

I knew that I was much heavier and my legs were out of shape...and, and, and.  Thus, that first mile was a long one.

But once I got out there, mile #2 was not really bad at all.

It was good to be out there again.  I will do the Sun Run 5k or 10k in late January and see what else is coming after that.

Big Clyde

10 comments:

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Clyde, I'm proud of you for getting out there and getting started again. And for reminding the rest of us that's what it takes.

Have a very Merry Christmas with your family!

oh_mg said...

No matter how many miles I am planning on running, the first one is always the toughest. Getting started is a challenge, but eventually you find your comfortable pace, you figure out what works for you, and you just plug along, carrying on towards your goal.

Not just running we're talking about here, I suppose. :)

Enjoy your holidays!

Caratunk Girl said...

Way to get back out there - the first mile is always the toughest for me, no matter what.

Enjoy your holidays!

Jessica said...

Good job getting it done Clyde!

RockStarTri said...

The "next" mile is always the longest for me. Way to get back in the game!

Bruce said...

For me the hardest step is the one out the door. The next hardest is the first mile. My heart rate goes all over the place.

Way to get out the door!

Kyle Gershman said...

Congrats on getting back on the road...I've been very focused on the elliptical which has yielded very positive results, but really do need to hit the road...thanks for adding another ounce of inspiration.

Michele said...

So, happy for you that you got out and just did that run. Excellent. Have a great Christmas. Here is to a healthy 2012! Michele

pinkvision said...

Well done! Happy Holidays and a 2012 chock full of running & cycling & getting out there!

Mer and Mo said...

Great to hear that you did get back out there. And to run one, then run two...awesome!!! Merry Merry and wishing you the best for 2012!!!

MO