Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Winning Season

red-shirted last year.  Maybe some of you did also.  

On 12/22/11, my wife and I were enjoying our 22nd anniversary and we agreed that 2011 was our most difficult out of the 22 years together.  Our marriage was fine, but we struggled elsewhere.  And yet, our health, faith and family were all fine.  Certainly many others have much deeper struggles and we keep that in perspective.

But I am a believer in the change of seasons, or starting a new chapter, or...(choose your metaphor).  I think that it is convenient and healthy to consider January 1st to be the embodiment of that cheesy phrase "the first day of the rest of your life".

I weighed in this morning.  It was a much higher number than I wanted to see, but that is what happens to a guy like me with an office job, no planned nutritional program and a typical sedentary lifestyle.   I eat like an American (ordering the combo meals at McDonald's, eating the entire entree at a Mexican restaurant and snacking on sweets whenever I feel like it).  Some people have enough common sense to moderate themselves naturally.  I don't when it comes to food.

So, I have to get intentional again.  I really don't even mind it, because I have counted my daily calories before and dropped a lot of weight doing it, without huge sacrifices.  It just requires me to be intentional.

That is what I am doing, starting today.

I will run this year and I will bike.  But at my current weight, I will be walking more than running and focusing on days on the bike, not speed or mileage.  Improving speed and mileage will come soon enough.  For now, I have to consistently drop pounds by eating healthy food.

My short-term goal is to lose 12 pounds in January.  My long-term goal is to lose 75 pounds.  That will not put me at "skinny" by anyone's standards, but I think that is probably my healthy range.  I'll keep you posted weekly as to how I am doing.

My head is ready and there are no obstacles ahead.  This feels like I am starting a winning season and I am excited.  Thanks for following along.

Big Clyde

13 comments:

Kyle Gershman said...

Game on, Clyde! From a cycling perspective, I have a new toy. A Catrike Expedition tadpole style trike. A pretty comfy ride so far and I have it on a trainer stand as well. As you and I both know, getting pounds off the engine is the greatest priority over buying grams of weight on cycling components. Best wishes on rejoining the game and happy new year.

Bruce said...

I hope your year back after red shirting is a great one. Your freshman year was a great one and now you have a different perspective.

I had a great year as far as reaching some goals, but I let some weight creep back on me and I am ready to tackle that beast as well and get down to where I want to be.

Good luck!

Clydesdale Jogger said...

It may be trite to say "you can do it!" but you know you really can. And I'll be there cheering you the whole way!

responsibility199 said...

Glad to see your mind is in the right place here Clyde. Lets get 2012 in our control and rule each day this year.

Jessica said...

Here is to a great new year!!

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Clyde, can I copy this post and post it as my own? JK, but really it's almost exactly my story. Love the "red shirt" analogy. So much of weight loss is the ability to turn the page and move on. Let's do this in 2012!

Patrick Mahoney said...

Hi clyde, hope you are good. Happy new year!

Michele said...

Here is to a winning year and a yellow (Tour de France) short for you at the end. Happy New Year!

oh_mg said...

Happy New Year, Clyde! Good luck with your 2012 goals - looking forward to following along and seeing all you accomplish!

Clive Chapman said...

Wishing you all the best Clyde. Cheers Clive

AlmostGastricBypass said...

All the best

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

Glad to see you back and ready to focus again. You can do this!

45and304 said...

Onward and downward!!!

Kimberley