Sunday, February 26, 2012

The March Experiment Calls to Me

It has been over three weeks since my last confession...

My good friend, Neighbor Ted, moved away almost two years ago.   When he lived next door to me, I would ocassionally ride bikes with him, but could not keep up with his speed or distance.  He also ran.  Though about 5 years younger than me, we were similar in size and habits.  

Then, he moved and I started doing this Clydesdale Project.  I began losing weight, logging decent miles each week and evenutally running.   We could have had so much fun if we were actually doing it together, but we missed that time.

He wrote to me recently and asked why I wasn't blogging much anymore.   The answer is simple:  I'm not really doing any exercise or particularly watching what I eat.   No es bueno.  Shockingly, I've gained back my weight.  What a shame, but it was of my own doing.

I think I have to get back to very small victories in my health journey.   Rather than lament how slow I am now, how the hills look steeper, how I am carrying a heavier load on my runs (can I even run anymore?)...I think I have to do what I did last year in March.  Or two years ago in March.

March has actually been a pivotal month for me in the past two years.
  • In March of 2010, I started eating very healthy foods (low-cal, but good low-cal).  I lots a lot of weight pretty fast.  I was just in the zone and stayed disciplined.
  • In March of 2011, I did this thing that I called The March Experiment.   I exercised 6 days a week.  Some of it was light, others were more impressive, but everyday was at least 20 minutes of something to break a sweat.  I followed that up with April's International 30 Days of Biking.  
So, with thanks to Neighbor Ted for waking me from my sedentary slumber, I will soon begin The March Experiment 2012. 

Maybe I'll even reach for a handful of veggies instead of M&M's.

What will you be working on in March of 2012?

Big Clyde

9 comments:

Jo said...

Wonderful news!

spunkysuzi said...

I'm looking forward to your new posts!!

Miss S. said...

Welcome back. I see big changes coming in March.

Bruce Gudmundson said...

Thanks Ted for waking Clyde up! I was afraid he was unemployed in Greenland!

Get back up Clyde, shake it off and get back after it!

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

I like it that you are reaching back to your successes. How are you going to make sure you stay engaged with this thing every day? (Rhetorical) That's my challenge, often. Good luck!!! Let's stay in touch.

Jessica said...

Looking forward to lots of good things in March.

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

Glad to see you back here. Now....stay :)

45and304 said...

March right into March and take over BC!!!

In March I am going to continue low carbing and exercising!

Susietri said...

I've been away from the internets and am sad to hear you've slipped so much. You KNOW that you loved being healthy so take that memory and get back to it. And dude, really a car ride doesnt need treats. For 99% of the world, a car ride would be a treat.