Sunday, March 4, 2012

The March Experiment - The Plan

When I recently blogged about starting a new program for March, my good friend, Alan, commented "How are you going to make sure you stay engaged with this thing every day?".  

He was being rhetorical, since this is something that we all are challenged with in our fitness goals, but it was a solid question.

I present to you my plan for The March Experiment 2012:
  • Weigh-in weekly and chart my progress (done on Saturday mornings.)
  • Begin the Hal Higdon 8-week 8k training plan for novice runners.  Click here for the link. Week 1 begins tomorrow (3/4/12).
  • Set weekly modest weight loss goals.   Goal for next Saturday's weigh-in is 4lbs, given that it is week 1.  It will be less in future weeks, I'm sure.
  • Run virtual 5k on 3/31.
  • Run virtual 8k on 4/28...OR ride in Tour of the Tucson Mountains 27-mile bike race.   The 8k might be more challenging, but either would be good for me.  It would likely be 1 hour on foot or two hours on the bike.   Same-same, I think.
  • I will also be re-reading my own blog from the periods when I was regularly running 3, 4, or 5 miles at a time.   If I did it before, I can do it again.
My friend, Neighbor Ted, will be doing this as well.  If any of you want to join us, feel free to jump in.  

Big Clyde

5 comments:

The Big Guy said...

Hey!

The Clydesdale Project... Love it.

After running all of last summer, I must admit I'm intrigued to try biking again, but I've got a feeling I'm going to have to invest some real cash into a decent bike that will support my frame in comfort and style *lol*

Good luck on your journeys, I'll be following!

spunkysuzi said...

I'll be back on my bike (Fred) as soon as the weather is better!!
Sounds like you have a good plan.

Tasha Gray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr. Fat To Fit said...

Sounds like a plan. I'm so happy to be back at it and I know you will be happy putting all that good work in for March!

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

I'm just catching up Clyde...I like your plan. Especially like how you're rereading posts from when it was working. Pulling for you! BTW, I'm doing a 5K this weekend. I'll be walking much of it, but the unique challenge is that the first mile has 800 feet of vertical elevation. Two weeks later is the Big Climb. Let's both get back on track!