Thursday, August 9, 2012

Fast Fifteen

Okay, okay...maybe the half-marathon in December is a little ridiculous for me (see previous post).   It was kind of you not to say it.  My head is clear now.   But a respectable time at the El Tour de Tucson (42-mile leg) in November with my buddy Henry?   Yeah, I can definitely do that.

But first of all, I need to drop at least 15 pounds, quickly.   Just to keep my game face on (and to make my shirts fit better).

I weighed this morning.  Brutal.  I'll save my dignity here by not typing the number, but it was brutal.

So, my only short-term goal is to drop 15 pounds by August 31.   In 22 days.   Gimmicky?  Maybe a little.   But a balanced, low-cal diet of 1,500 calories for a guy of my size seems pretty healthy to me.   

I wonder if any of you know how to do the "calorie=pounds lost" formula to see if that 1,500 calories is a good target for me.   I'd appreciate any help or advice.

15 pounds lost
by the morning of August 31.
Weigh-in daily, updates on Fridays.

Feels good to be off the bench and back on the field.  Thanks for the encouragement.

Big Clyde

4 comments:

Bruce Gudmundson said...

3500 calories = 1 lbs.

It's not always easy to count calories, but a good app like myfitnesspal can make it easier. It calculates your calorie deficit based on your weight, exercise and calories consumed for the day. I highly recommend it or another program similar to it.

It's probably good you reconsidered attempting a half marathon so quickly. You can do it, but it's best if you work up to it. Work back up to another 5k, several 10ks and then train for a half. I know you can do it!

oh_mg said...

I agree with Bruce - the apps like MyFitnessPal or SparkPeople are great, take the math out of your hands. I use MFP sometimes and honestly should use it more - when I give myself wholeheartedly to the program, it works.

Christina said...

Clyde, you are an amazing guy. I really admire you and the things youve done over the years. Because I like you so much, I must ask: When will you realize that crash dieting is not the answer? 1500 calories for a guy your size is absolutely crazy and not at all healthy. You're a smart guy, so set a smart goal. I bet you can find a more sustainable, healthy diet to follow. Is healthy your goal, or do you only care about your weight? Again, I think you're amazing, and I'm only writing this comment because I'm tired of watching you yo-yo between crash diets and overeating. There is a healthy middle ground, and you CAN find it.

Debsdailylife said...

This whole weight loss journey sucks!! Why is it so hard?
5lbs a week. WOW! Thats a lot! Be careful! Be smart!! Celebrate victories!!