Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Feeling Inspired

Last week, my pal Kevin sent me an e-mail, just checking in.  This morning, another pal Patrick commented on my last post from mid-May.   Finally, SusieTri left a comment this afternoon.   Very nice and much appreciated.

I know that I have been missing-in-action and it is great to know that so many of you are still out there doing so well.   I lurk from time to time and see bloggers that have consistently lost weight, signed up for races and enjoyed better lifestyles while on vacation.

I applaud you, but am not among you.  I have not been eating well and have not been working out.   I was distracted with work and family obligations and just wandered back into all of my old habits.

I have not even tried to work the dimmer switch.   I have just been in the "off" position.  (Read my last post to get that one).

However, I am ready to get back to work.  Here's a short list of things that have inspired me lately:
  • My college-buddy (spending more time together after a 25-year span) has been riding his bike a bit lately.   He consistently does a very hilly 6 mile ride.  I admire his diligence.  He wants me to help him do longer distances.  We've agreed to do El Tour de Tucson's 42-mile route this year together!  November 17.
  • In my recent prime, I could outrun my kids.   Somehow, a friendly challenge came up recently from my 13-year old son and I realized that running at any speed or distance would be VERY challenging for me now.   Got to fix that while that challenge is still in the air.
  • My friend with polio is beginning to rely more on a wheelchair and less on her crutches.   She must long to just go for a pleasant walk without pain...maybe even a run...or a bike ride.   Shame on me for neglecting that gift of being able to move with ease.
  • Most of my shirts are shrinking.  My cool leather jacket and my other cool grey/black cool jacket are probably much smaller too.   Got to fix that before autumn comes to the desert.
  • I think RockStar Tri just signed up for IMAZ.  I don't have that goal, but I have flirted with the idea of a half-marathon.  
  • The Tucson Half-Marathon is mostly downhill and is on December 9.  This is just 5 days after my 47th birthday.  The race starts at this cool place!   That might be too aggressive of a goal, but this race seems ideal for the half-mary goal and it only happens once a year.   Even if it is too aggressive, I still like to keep it on my radar.
  • Finally, my health is still great.  But at my age and weight, it is very likely that I will come down with diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease.  Ridiculous.   All from my love of junk food and poor will-power.   I am not a slave to my desires in other parts of my life.   So, it is time to combat these poor habits once again.
I'll get busy with better food, some activity and a short-term plan.   Back to you in a few days.  

Thanks for caring about me.

Big Clyde

8 comments:

RockStarTri said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere. My IMAZ journey will be a two year goal. be there in 2014.

I miss El Tour. Go get 'em.

RockStarTri said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere. My IMAZ journey will be a two year goal. be there in 2014.

I miss El Tour. Go get 'em.

Jessica said...

Seeing a post from you made me smile :) Glad to see you around and making plans :)

Jo said...

Funny, I was just wondering about you, too. You are welcome to hop back up on the health wagon at any time.

Patrick said...

You got knowledge, you got ability, now just use attitude to bring them together and you will have success.

Go Kick Some Ass!

-Patrick
http://responsibility199.wordpress.com

Debsdailylife said...

Not sure why, but I saw you had a new post, and I smiled!! Kick it in gear and reach for those goals!!

Clydesdale Jogger said...

Welcome back my friend.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Clyde!!! I've been away a couple weeks and happily returned to this post! Have thought of you from time to time and was planning to send an email. I've had nagging injuries throughout the summer from running in softball and it made me think we're probably going through the same thing (I recall you were dealing with some small injuries before you tailed off.) Anyway, glad you're back!