Monday, August 20, 2012

Why Couldn't You?...

About a month ago, I was talking with my wife and 16-year-old daughter.  They were playfully encouraging me to be more social with my friends (it's weird but most guys over 40 don't tend to have a lot of buddies that they go to the movies with, etc.).

Daughter & Wife:  How about Doug?

Me:  Nah, he's a beast.   He wouldn't go to the movies...he does stuff like the Tough Mudder

Daughter:  What's that?

Me:  It's a race that covers 12 miles of obstacles, electric shocks, wall climbs, barbed wire...stuff like that.  I can't do that.

Daughter:  Why couldn't you?

Me:  Well, it doesn't sound fun to me (true), but even if it did, I am way too heavy to do that.   I'd have to lose 50, maybe 75 pounds to do that.

Daughter:  (excited and smiling now)  You can do that!  Why couldn't you??

Mrs. Clyde is sitting back, smiling at this point.

Me:  (feeling embarrassed and backed into a corner...)  Sweetie, it's not just the weight...those events are for really strong guys, athletes.   I've never had much upper body strength.  I'd have to consistently get into a lifting routine to get much stronger.  That's never been my thing.

Daughter:  (nearly exasperated)  But you can do that!!  Why couldn't you?!?

And then it hit me...my daughter was still my little girl, possibly seeing her father as someone without any limitations. 

Or maybe it is the case that she is a very smart, young woman who knows that hard work and dedication can overcome the limitations that we put ON OURSELVES. 

A good friend of our's will often say this very simple phrase:  "You can do hard things."  My daughter embodies this phrase and was now using it on me.  As Mr. Miyagi said "if done correctly, no can defense".

Mrs. Clyde was enjoying the show.  They were both just sitting there looking at me, waiting to see if I would throw up another lame obstacle...another rationalization.

Me:  Well, the Tough Mudder is of no interest to me.................................but I think it would be awesome to run a half-marathon someday (voice trailing off as I realize how far I am from ever doing that).

Daughter:  (smiling, pleased with herself)  Great!!!  Then DO that!

A few weeks later, I got my act together and started eating better.  Now, I am down 11 pounds and looking at race schedules again.

But I still want to go see The Expendables 2.

What event or goal are you reaching for?

5 comments:

Jessica said...

You can do it Clyde! I would love to do a half too...and WILL one day :)

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

I love this post. I think that negative inner talk gets us thinking we can't do a lot of things that we COULD if we really really wanted it.

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

Great point. Kids can see things in us that we can't. Finish that bike goal first. For me, right now my goal is to finish the softball season without my legs blowing up.

Al said...

Another dude once said, "You can do all things..."

I'd hang with you for sure, Clyde.

Susietri said...

Yes. You can.