Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Weekly Weigh-In and the Danger Zone

I am doing well and remain very consistent in my healthy eating campaign.  I just finished my 4th week of eating well and I am down another 3 pounds.  Total loss since 8/9 is 18 pounds.

Week 1 was 7 pounds
Week 2 was 5 pounds
Week 3 was 3 pounds
Week 4 was 3 pounds

I log EVERYTHING into sparkpeople.com and about every 10 days when I "cheat", it means that I have gone to about 2,000 calories (one time up to 2,200).  My average tends to be around 1,400 calories.  Lots of veggies, light amount of daily exercise.   It is very likely that I was consuming 4,000 calories per day before this with no exercise.

I feel confident that I will keep going...it feels different this time.  It feels like I am finally learning some balance.  Eating an occassional heavy meal means that I better have some light meals ahead of me, lots of water and some exercise.

Four weeks is a nice stretch, but I need to maintain this for four months.   Gradually, I will bring the daily goal up to 1,500, then 1,700, etc.   Once I hit a goal weight, I'll have to determine what my daily caloric goal should be.  But for awhile, I need to keep focused on reducing the weight quickly to get me out of the danger zone.

I've said this before, but here it comes again (more strongly this time).  It is ridiculous to think that a balanced diet of veggies, proteins, few fats and carbs at 1,200 or 1,300 calories is DANGEROUS for a 300+ lb pound man.  Dangerous compared to what?!?  

Let me put it another way...When you are in a danger zone, is it better to walk slowly away from the danger zone or is it better to RUN from that danger zone as fast as you can?

I hit on this because I am in that danger zone and am happy to be losing some weight now.  But I started this latest effort simply because my clothing was too tight, ignoring the much greater dangers! 

Michael Clarke Duncan was between 6'4"-6'5", near my age and weighed somewhere between 315-325 pounds.  He had a massive heart attack and never recovered.   Oh, and he had far more muscle mass and athletic history than I've ever had.  If we stood next to each other wearing suits, we would look pretty similar. 

Which one of us would be in the Danger Zone?  Both of us.

I liked this actor, but even more so, feel very sympathetic to all of the big guys and gals out there because we are all on the same path.  Every journey out of a danger zone begins with one step or one leap. 

If you're not AGGRESSIVELY getting out of that danger zone, please get moving.

Big Clyde

4 comments:

Dr. Fat To Fit said...

I'm with you. I was sad to see his loss. He was a big guy, but never looked "unhealthy". He looked athletic. But he was clearly overweight. What you're doing isn't dangerous. Staying where you are is dangerous. The end. Keep up the good work.

Debsdailylife said...

Proud of you!
For some silly reason Im having troubel remembering to log my food (or is it that I really dont want to see my totals!!)
Youre inspiring!!! Onward and downward!!!

Mer and Mo said...

This is a great post!!! And so very true - getting out of the danger zone is the best thing for many of us. I am going to take this to heart. Thanks for making me see the lighted TNT!

MO

memoirs of this binge eating triathlete said...

congrats on your weight loss and best of luck loosing more. What's your goal weight, how much more do you need to loose, how quickly are you adding more calories?