Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Forming a "Reasonable" Plan

Hello friends and bloggers.   Remember me?

I've been away and am coming back to check in and describe my thoughts on a reasonable plan for 2013.

Sounds exciting, doesn't it?   A reasonable plan?  No one usually cheers for "reasonable"...they cheer for aggressive, challenging, "all or nothing" (a ridiculous phrase), and even the "scary milestone event" (I've used that one in the past).

But a "reasonable" goal has always sounded very wimpy and tame to me..as if I am settling for mediocrity.

Here are some of those mediocre or wimpy examples that I have heard in the past:

  • Make some better food choices
  • Exercise 3 times per week
  • Get a good amount of sleep
  • Lose 1-2 pounds per week
Instead, I have rejected those guidelines and have been focused on AGGRESSIVE results!   3-5 pound weight loss per week!  Exercise plans of 6 days per week.   1,300 calorie per day nutrition plan.

I have proven that I can be aggressive and achieve those results...for awhile.   I can train for specific races, hit aggressive weight loss goals by a specific date, and maintain my focus with that finish line in my sights.  I become a superhero for awhile.

But I now believe that this type of deadline-based goal planning is not helping me make sustainable lifestyle changes (now that's a boring phrase for you!).

So, I am going to make some adjustments to my plan for 2013.   I may still have some short-term deadlines for fun, but the over-riding theme is going to be one of moderate and steady progress, realistic goals...reasonable.

In my next post, I will share some input that I received from my physical therapist and my new favorite author.

Big Clyde



6 comments:

Debsdailylife said...

AHHH. Dude!! So glad to see youre still kicking!!

Poochy Ponders said...

Hello - it's been a long time. Welcome home.

Alan said...

I was just thinking about you the other day. Figured we'd seen the end of you. Glad it's not the case!!!

Yes, steady wins the race! My belief is not to do anything you can't sustain. And lately I've been grappling with admitting that I just can't handle some foods and need a long break from them. Tortilla chips, anyone?

Clydesdale Jogger said...

Glad to see you back! I think slow and steady is a fine way to approach things. We'll be with you along the way, my friend.

responsibility199 said...

Welcome back. 2013 is almost over, don't wait too long for that next post...

Alan said...

Hi Clyde. It's been a month. How are you doing? I miss you out here. Make tomorrow a great one.