Thursday, May 30, 2013

What To Do, What To Do...



Every overweight person has looked for the magic answer that would help them drop weight quickly and easily.   Me too.

By now, we all know that the obvious answer to long-term health is to eat healthy, eat less and move more.  But motivation, psychology and current life situations can make that so challenging, which is why so many of us are obese.

When I read recently about Gov. Chris Christie's weight loss surgery, he said something like:  "I've dealt with this all of my life, I am older now, with kids and am running out of time to drop the weight slowly and naturally, so I am taking action to get healthy through this surgery".   His view of the surgery seemed so reasonable to me.   I considered it very briefly for myself.  But after the surgery is performed, it is up to the patient to change their eating habits.  And begin exercising.

Once again, I found myself back to the same dilemma...at some point, I will have to change my eating habits or die early.   Here's how it plays out:

  1. Continue eating like I always have and get diabetes.   Action?  Change my eating habits.   If you have diabetes, you have to eat healthy or they will start cutting parts off of you.
  2. Get weight loss surgery and lose tons of weight.  Action?  Change my eating habits.  Spend tons of money on surgery.  And pray that I don't go back to my old habits and gain it back (I've seen it happen to others!).
  3. Go back to calorie counting and lose weight.  Action?   Change my eating habits.   I've done this before and it is certainly a reasonable approach.   But a slow and measured approach.  It is a bit like trying to quit drinking beer, but still keeping your job at the tavern.   Temptations are always close at hand. 
  4. Die early.
So, to avoid #4, I will have to change my eating habits so I'd better get back to it. 

If I am going to change my eating habits at some point in my life regardless, I'd be dumb to wait for diabetes to be the reason.   That elminates option #1.

And if I know that weight loss surgery will require a change in eating habits in the near future, I'd rather save the money and try again to do it on my own.  That eliminates option #2 for now.

So, option #3 is left.   I've done that before, but I still have kids that would like to celebrate with ice cream sometimes.   And making waffles for breakfast is fun at times.  These can be sparingly worked in to a low-cal diet, which is the key to truly changing eating habits with moderation as the end goal.  

But at my weight, I understand why people like Gov. Chris Christie wanted to get this going on a faster pace. 

I am now focused on doing something at that faster pace.   Healthy, but a major change for me.   More on that in a future post.

For now, I am trying to break my caffeine addiction.   I drink way too much coffee every day and have done that for the past 15 years.   I am reducing the amount each day now to try to break free of it for awhile.

Big Clyde

5 comments:

Daniel Weise said...

Just found your blog and am catching up. I have a feeling we are very much alike. I look forward to following more of your journey.

Dan

TCA said...

Good luck with the latest fast fix. I hope you are able to change your habits in a way that you can maintain.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I may not be in the same wt. category but I am stuck on my weight also and the bottom line is less food, less grains, more "good" for your body stuff. It is definitely hard.. Intention is the first step

bbubblyb said...

You have to change your mind that's the real key to permanent weight loss. I've been listening to some audio books on self image, it's helping. You hold the power it's about feeling deserving and so many other things. I'm rooting for you!

Debsdailylife said...

Its sounds so easy, and logical!! Why is it so hard for us to do?