Saturday, June 22, 2013

Commit. Train. Results? 2013 edition

Since my last post, I have been much more careful about what I eat.   I am juicing pretty regularly now (not smoothies with berries and yogurt...I'm talking the pure nasty juice of kale, spinach, celery, and lemons).    I've cut back on my caffeine intake and downsized my portions.    Good stuff.

Now, it's time to get moving.

My buddy, Tig, and I were talking the other night.   Okay, we were drinking and talking...and we challenged ourselves to do something big before the end of the year.   We agreed to ride a metric century in December.   My longest distance has been about 40 miles.   This will be 63 miles.   To do it decently, I'll need to build up my mileage and fitness levels in the coming months.

Our first step, will be to run a simple 5k in mid-September.   I'll need to train for that too.

When I was really active on this blog in previous years, someone once summarized my strategy as
1.  Commit (to a big event)
2.  Train (so that I can complete the event or do it decently)
3.  See the Results (usually in weight loss, but also overall fitness)

I guess I am back on that train again.   My friend has been fit his entire life (unlike me), but we are both guys between 45-48 who keep seeing the yearly decrease in exercise and increase in pounds.   Knowing that we will train and do these events together will definitely inspire me to get in gear.

And if I keep my nutrition in line, I'll see those results I've been looking for these past two years.

Big Clyde

4 comments:

RockStarTri said...

Looking forward to hear about your success

Lynn said...

Can't wait to read more as you work towards your goal!

Daniel Weise said...

All it takes is to plan the work and then work the plan. Looking forward to frequent updates on how its all going. You can certainly do it!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Good for you
At the CDA pre race dinner Mike Reilly brought this guy on stage that had lost 175 pounds. 390 or so down to 215. This was to be his 3rd IM. Funny, I remember him from Florida a few years back and he looked skinnier then. I figure for the race this weekend he was pushing 250. I think he finished. Anything is possible. Stick to it