Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Juice Fast - Day 3 and Done!

Well that was interesting.

It was only three days, but after some inspiration from the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead", I just completed a 3-Day Juice Fast.   Check out the plan here.

There was no cheating.  Not a bite of fruit (or any other food).   The juice was made from 80% veggies and 20% fruit.  The 32 oz. of "Green Juice"  was the worst part of my day, but as I wrote yesterday, that is about two 5-minute periods of disgusting.  The other juices were tasty (enough).

I don't know if I lost any weight, but for a three day period that wasn't really my goal.  I really just wanted to see how I would handle it, how I would feel, how much time would it take, etc.  I'll jump on the scale tomorrow morning just to see if anything changed.

Here's what I learned:

  • I resisted the temptation of eating horribly by eating intentionally.  If I did not have a plan, my "normal" food choices would have been pretty bad, considering that my wife and kids are out of town.  I would have eaten junk food, snacks and desserts.  This juice plan kept me healthy.
  • I had plenty of energy, despite a lower amount of calories.  We could all stuff ourselves simply by eating instant oatmeal throughout the day and barely exceed 1,000 calories...but we would have no nutrients, etc.  Drinking the juice from tons of dark, leafy greens, carrots and a few fruits adds energy.  
  • It was cheaper than my regular food choices.  The veggies and fruit were definitely cheaper than my regular food.  (I bought the juicer about a month ago for $130).
  • It took about 60 minutes per night to prepare all juices for the next day.   That may seem like a lot of time, but it was quick to eat throughout the day and I just had to reach into the fridge to get my "meal".
  • I was reminded how much healthier veggies are compared to fruit (and everything else).
Over the next three days, I will be going to Temecula, CA for a business trip.  I know that I will eat solid food in the next few days, but since I am driving, I already stopped at the store to get some prepared veggie juices, a lot of carrots and some apples.   My normal pattern for a long drive would be to bring candy, chips, diet soda, candy and chocolate and jerky.  

Though I am 47 years old, I still want to eat like a 10-year-old with a paycheck.   

Maybe the 3-Day Juice Fast (found at http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/) did exactly what it claims to do...re-boot my life.   

Big Clyde

P.S.  Did another 9.5 miles on the stationary bike at the gym tonight with Crazy Jim.  25 miles down and 75 miles remaining in my Tour de France Challenge.  

1 comment:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Love your quote "47 eating like a 10 year old with a paycheck"... I think you figured out the American obsession with food