Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Juice Fast

Some of you may have heard of the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead".   I won't recap it, but it is on NetFlix and www.imdb.com.   You can find it.

Basically, in a pretty entertaining movie, we see a few people transform their lives through temporary juice fasts.   These are not smoothies with yogurt, berries and protein powder (not that there's anything wrong with that!).   These tend to be hardcore juices made mostly from leafy green veggies, some citrus, some apples.

Though I generally resist any fad diets, I do see that there are great benefits here.  I got interested, bought a juicer and have been doing it for about 7-10 meals per week for the past month or so.   When I am pretty consistent, I feel a great energy boost and know that I am getting far more vitamins from all of the veggies.  I am used to a "full" or bloated feeling from junk food and it feels great when I choose the juice instead.

On the downside, you go through a ton of veggies (because you are only drinking the juice, not eating the pulp), it can seem to take more time, and the taste of the Mean Green juice is honestly, nasty.

But is it worth it?  

If a wizard came to you with a magic pill and said that you would lose a lot of weight, you would totally grab it.  What if the wizard said it's not really a pill, but instead a recipe that you would have to make each day which would take some extra time and the recipe would taste nasty but could be consumed in a few minutes...then would you want it?   Oh, and it would be totally healthy for you and would quickly reduce your dangerous bmi score.

Yeah, I'd do it.   In the documentary, the guy does a doctor-guided 60-day juice fast.   They don't recommend most people do that, but instead suggest plans between 3 days to 15 days.

So, I'm going to do the juice fast for the next three days and will let you know how it goes.  I won't be totally hardcore, because I will still have some coffee (with a small amount of cream) and may have a Sunday afternoon beer.   I'm not trying to do this perfectly...I just want to make some changes on the food I eat.

Big Clyde

P.S.  I also did this thing called "exercise" today.  I did about 6.8 miles on a stationary bike (only 93 miles to go by 7/21) and walked 1.5 miles.  More tomorrow.

2 comments:

Debsdailylife said...

Green juices are NASTY!!!! I was able to stomach them when I squeezed half a lemon in them and added some apples or grapes! BUT, plain green!!! ARGH!!! Wishing you well!!!

Daniel Weise said...

I will be very interested in how things go for you. Great job on the "exercise" thing as well!