Thursday, January 2, 2014

Slowly Turning The Big Ship

Wow...my last post was in August, but I didn't expect to stay away for so long.   So, here's a brief re-cap of what's going on with me:

Family - All is well.  I'm married with three kids and all of us are healthy, working, studying, involved with some light extra-curricular stuff and church.  We are happy and blessed.

Work - Also, doing fine here.  Though the economy showed signs of improvement this year, things have still be challenging in my industry and I had a major year-long project to complete, which required extra hours and attention this year.   Goal was achieved and I am looking forward to 2014.

Health/Weight - No changes here, which is not a good sign.   I am still overweight and have not been working on eating better over the past few months.  My focus has been elsewhere and when I am not focused on eating healthy, I eat fast food, snacks, etc.  Otherwise, my health is fine.

Exercise - Can't recall my last run or decent bike ride.

So, why would I blog about any of that?   There's been nothing to say of any substance over the past few months, so I've stayed away from the blogging world.

I'm not certain that I will continue this blog because I feel like I've learned what I needed to learn by reading about nutrition, cycling, running, weight loss, etc.   The knowledge is easy.  The change in lifestyle is more difficult.   It takes a while to turn a big ship, but it DEFINITELY requires a skipper who is at that steering wheel.

My efforts began with cycling, then nutrition (really, counting calories) and eventually, running.   All were productive and fun.   But with each new effort, I put tremedous time and focus into them for short-term goals and results.  

I like cycling and will ride for the rest of my life, but I intend to ride for light exercise, fun, and errands...not as a goal-focused cyclist with my eyes focused on the next race or milestone.  It requires too much time in the saddle and away from other parts of my life that I enjoy more.

I enjoyed running, but accept that my knees only have so many miles in them and I don't want to be limping in my sixties, so I think I will never do another 10k.   Maybe a slow 5k now and then or a simple neighborhood jog.

As for nutrition, that is where I have learned the most (but again, have not consistently put that knowledge toward permanent changes in my life).   I'll write more about that in a post within the next few days.

I'm aware that this post might seem a bit depressing or disappointing to some of you and that's fine.   I guess I realized about a year ago that I could continue to do short-term goals, then fall back, then repeat...for the rest of my life.   But that was not the goal.   My goal was to make a sustainable change in my weight (whether it was through exercise or nutrition).   The patterns of exercise and nutrition that "work" are HIGHLY individualized in my opinion and we all have to figure out what patterns suit our individual lifestyles the best.   I haven't figured out how I will do that yet, but I think I am getting close to figuring out what will work for my lifestyle.  Many of you have already figured it out for yours.  Well done.

Finally, I wanted to say a very genuine "thank-you" to the few of you that somehow care enough about me to be reading this now.   I have not been as diligent on following other blogs recently and I feel badly about that.   But when I have checked in to see how my blogging friends are doing, I am always inspired that so many of you are still working out changes in your lifestyle, or riding your bikes, or signing up for new races.   I hope to someday soon be back at that type of activity, whether I blog about it or not.

Sincerely,

Big Clyde

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Always enjoy hearing from you!

Gary said...

I always like reading your blog, remember "The goal is not to sail the boat, but rather to help the boat sail herself."

Good luck

The Big Guy said...

We both disappeared around the same time and reappeared about the same time. @ha@

Good luck man!

RockStarTri said...

Just so you know, we're going to stop reading these if you stop writing them. Seriously!


Blogging should be selfish. You should do it if it helps you. If not, no need to worry about it. I've cut down dramatically on the frequency of writing and reading mine. If it will help me, I'll kick it into a higher gear.

Keep all the good in your life and try to add a little more from time to time. Might be something profound in that saying.

Keep me posted.

Debsdailylife said...

Sure will miss hearing from you, but blogging is for you, the writer, not for me the reader!!!

I wish you well in where ever life takes you!! Ill keep you on my blog roll, just in case you decide to start writing again!! Blessings!!!

Daniel Weise said...

Happy to see a new post on here. I hadn't checked in a while so was pleasantly surprised. I can certainly relate to the short term goals, fall back and repeat cycle. Doc says that's not going to cut it anymore for me so I am determined that 2014 is the year I make a permanent and sustainable change.

Hoping you get all you want out of life and if you do feel like posting once in a while, I will be reading it.

Clydesdale Jogger said...

Hey man, glad to see this post! Welcome back!!

Kimberley Ann said...

I have been reading you for years and I am happy to see an update! Good luck with your future choices. So happy to see that you and your family are doing well.