Monday, June 23, 2014

Why Walking Works For Me

About five months into the start of my blog in 2009, my dreams were big.   Ride the bike, enter races, lose weight, new lifestyle naturally follows...easy.

Then, I realized that weight loss would depend MUCH MORE on what I ate, than how much I sweat.  Bummer...I really wanted to maintain my pizza lifestyle.   

So, I became a big challenge guy.  I figured that if I set big huge challenges or goals for myself, I would HAVE to train more and more and therefore keep my pizza.  It was exciting to think of a half-marathon or riding a century cycling race (okay, even a metric-century cycling event).  

But after a few years of some big events, I could see that my activity AFTER the big race would taper off and I would backslide.  Big time.  Too often.  

So me and many other bloggers would have these seasons of highs and lows, gains and losses...which can be pretty de-motivating.   Makes you want to quit blogging for awhile. 

We've all known that walking is healthy, but also boring and slow and not sexy at all.   There has never been a movie-montage of the main character begginning a daily walking regimen.   No medals or t-shirts for walking events.   Right?

But walking as exercise is practical and does not lend itself to excuses.

I walk every day and so do you.  With FitBit, I still get a fun daily measure of my progress toward 10,000 steps per day.  There is a great website that allows me to playfully measure or compare with others.  And I find myself looking for opportunities to move more everyday and when I am behind on my steps, then I get motivated to jump on the treadmill (or a few trips around the neighborhood) and bang out a few miles in 30 minutes.

I typed this while on a treadmill (more on that later) and I don't know how many miles I have walked in this time (also on a long conference call), but I have not yet gone to the gym today and have logged in well above 10,000 steps (or 5 miles).    No cycling gear, no trip to the gym and no guilt for missing a workout day.   As a husband and father of three, I think this is perfect for me right now.

Big Clyde

5 comments:

The Big Guy said...

I'm finding that my fitbit is really helping me to get off my a$$ again and get moving, always going for that 10k steps/day thing...

At work, I've started to hit the treadmill a few times a shift to get a couple thousand steps in.

Every little bit helps!

Kimberley said...

Walking rules! I don't do it enough and I have plenty of opportunities. I need to work on this.

Glad you found something that is working for you and your lifestyle.

bruin1980 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bruin1980 said...

It is all about what helps you lose weight consistently. I agree that diet is the biggest and hardest factor to control over time. I used to do quite a bit of walking, but did not see any results and switched to my old mountain bike. I still take a few laps of the parking lot at work, but more to off set the hazards of sitting all day.

Debsdailylife said...

So good to hear from you again!! Cant wait to read your writings!! Ive heard quite a few people who love their fit bits.