Here are the details, then an explanation:
- Patrick from The Road and I came up with this one, based on last weekend's 50-Mile Challenge.
- Starts October 1 through October 31.
- Pick your goal: mileage (walking/running/cycling) or pounds to lose (or a personal record?)
- Weekly updates as to progress (I'll create a new post each week specifically for your comments).
- Each week, try an "Oktoberfest-themed" thing and tell us about it. Maybe you review a different beer each week, like a great Amber Lager...maybe you cook some brats and review them, or make a healthy apple strudel. Just something that keeps us in the spirit of the good food and drink of the season.
The main goal is this: use these 31 days to get disciplined toward one personal goal.
If this seems fun and we get people on board, we will create a prize (okay, maybe a "virtual prize") for all the participants.
You have 31 days. Get busy.
Now, the explanation...
Challenges are useful to me. Some of you don't need them. That is fine, but many of us (including Patrick and I) thrive with challenges out in front of us. When I am just doing the day-in, day-out status quo, I fall towards the comfortable and it's not as fun. I have to have a carrot out in front of me, even if it is just a number to chase. Also, I like it when I am surrounded by others who are striving.
Why OktoberFast? Well, the month gives it a short-term, which is pretty useful. But I always get excited about the idea of "Oktoberfest", though I am not a big beer drinker and have never been to an Oktoberfest event. But I like the idea of something pretty timeless: red-cheeked people at a festival outdoors as the colors are changing with silly music and tons of rich, hearty food. Not a lot of sadness at an Oktoberfest event. At least, that's how I picture it. The event seems to signify that change in the seasons between summer and fall, where things are changing and we get to revel in it.
Many of us are working on changing ourselves. So, let's have some fun with it and do this together.
Please comment below and let us know what mileage or weight goal you will set for yourself for October. We'll post it up in a few days and ask for updates as we go along.
Big Clyde and Patrick